[net.sf-lovers] Complement to "Who / What is a N I M R O D?"

biep@klipper.UUCP (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) (01/15/85)

In article <186@decwrl.UUCP> chabot@amber.DEC (l s chabot) writes:
>Gee, I never heard of it meaning "ding-dong".  All I ever knew was that it
>meant "hunter".  I think there's a Nimrod in the bible, and isn't the old book
>_Nimrod_and_Sam_ by, er, Booth Tarkington?
>
>L S Chabot

[]
	Ok, everybody has now read 20 times that Nimrod is the guy mentioned
	in Gen 10:8-12, but now this: what the **** is a "ding-dong"?
	(If it *is* a bell, after all, I'll sigh!)
--
							  Biep.
	{seismo|decvax|philabs}!mcvax!vu44!botter!klipper!biep

I utterly disagree with  everything  you are saying,  but I
am prepared to fight to the death for your right to say it.
							--Voltaire

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) (01/15/85)

>From: biep@klipper.UUCP (J. A. "Biep" Durieux)
>Subject: Re: Complement to "Who / What is a N I M R O D?"
>
>        Ok, everybody has now read 20 times that Nimrod is the guy mentioned
>        in Gen 10:8-12, but now this: what the **** is a "ding-dong"?
>        (If it *is* a bell, after all, I'll sigh!)

Obviously you aren't a  fan  of  Cheech  and  Chong.  As  I  recall,  their
original  "Blind  Lemon  Chitlin'" sketch had an exchange like this (quoted
without permission):

	"...Ding-dong?  Ding-dong??  What's a ding-dong?"
	{sound of zipper opening}
	"I think he's going to show you, boss."
	"Oh, my God!  You could play jump-rope with that thing! ..."

   ... sitting in a pile of junk on the runway, wondering what happened ...

The Polymath (Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                               If thy CRT offend thee, pluck
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.                      it out and cast it from thee.
Santa Monica, California  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (01/19/85)

>Ok, everybody has now read 20 times that Nimrod is the guy mentioned
>in Gen 10:8-12, but now this: what the **** is a "ding-dong"?
>(If it *is* a bell, after all, I'll sigh!)
>-
>						  Biep.

I can appreciate the difficulty we americans impose on our foreign friends
by an almost fiendish desire to attach completely different meanings to
both new and old words. (Who would have guessed in the 80's to be "bad"
was to have the same connotation as being "cool" in the 50's) As there
was no trademark symbol on the original message we can rule out that the
author was refering to the small creme filled chocolate covered cakes that
are called Ding-Dongs and must assume theyt are using the 60's vernacular
for someone who either lacked intelligence or acted in a partiticularly
stupid way. One derivative of this was the adjective "dingy" which meant
lacking in common sense or acting in unpredictable ways. It has no
similarity to the word dingy which refers to a small boat. Isn't slang
fun? :-)

--Chuck
--
                                            - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my