[net.sf-lovers] Eddings Belgariad

@RUTGERS.ARPA:MURPH%MAINE.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA (01/28/85)

From: MURPH%MAINE.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA  (M.A. Murphy)

> Date: 11 Jan 1985 21:41-EST
> From: sue@mit-grape-nehi   (Susan Felshin)
> Subject: Eddings' Belgariad
>
> It's fairly clear that the titles of the 5 books of the Belgariad
> refer to chess pieces and concepts.  However, not being much of a
> chess player, I didn't see any relation between the plot and/or
> characters of the books and a chess game.  Are there any chess
> players out there who liked the books?  What do you think?  I'm
> betting that the whole quintology (? pentology? or better, series)
> could be translated into a coherent chess game if one only knew how.

> Date: 15 Jan 1985  14:05 EST (Tue)
> From: "Stephen R. Balzac" <LS.SRB%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA>
> To: sue@mit-grape-nehi (Susan Felshin)
> Subject: Eddings' Belgariad
>
> Pawn of Prophecy--A pawn is someone who gets moved around without
> his control.  In this case, Belgarion.
>
> Queen of Sorcery--A queen is a major piece, in this case refering to
> Polgara.
>
> Magician's Gambit--A gambit is a move where you deliberately
> sacrifice a piece or position in order to make a future gain.  In
> this case, Ctuchik's letting Belgarath et al close enough to kill
> him on the assumption that they would bring Ce'Nedra with them.
>
> Castle of Wizardry--Belgarath's tower?  This one isn't obvious.
>
> Enchanter's End Game--Belgarath finishing it up.
>
> ------------------------------

    Let me start by saying that I loved the Belgariad!  I eagerly awaited
the publishing of each book in the series since I started reading
the series when there were only two books out.

    This is by no means a comprehensive analysis of the series, but
I do think it may shed some light on the correlation between Chess
and the Belgariad.

    The titles and the story do bear a resemblance to a chess game.
The 'Pawn of Prophecy' is the first book in the series.  Most
opening moves in chess are made with a pawn.  All the pieces (characters)
on a chessboard (in the books) are manipulated without their control,
be they pawn or otherwise.

  The three middle books correspond somewhat to the middle game of chess.
The Queen is a piece that is used primarily in the middle and end games
of a game of chess (although often by the end game queens have been
traded or lost).  A gambit can occur anywhere in a game of chess, but
they are most common in the middle game where the battles for position
are fought.  Gambits are a ploy to misdirect the opponent/enemy and
are an attempt to make him think he has the upper hand.  The war which
C'Nedra was gathering troops to wage was not supposed to be an actual
war, but just something to keep the Murgos and Malloreans occupied
while Belgarath, Belagarion, et al journeyed in secrecy to meet Torak.

    Castling is another chess term which also is a form of misdirection.
One castles in chess to make one's opponent direct his attack elsewhere
on the board.  Castling is rarely done in the opening game or end game.

   The end game in chess occurs when most of the pieces have been cleared
from the board and only a few key pieces remain.  In cases where the
pieces are rather even, the more the cunning and strategy of the players
is seen.  The player with the greater cunning or strategy will generally
come out on top.

    One might say that the major pieces (kings) of the end game were the
two prophecies about to run into each other head on.  The other key
pieces involved were Torak and Belgarion, Belgarion having Polgara,
Belgarath, Errand, Durnik, C'Nedra, Silk and of course the Orb
as his supporting pieces.

    The prophecies met, embodied in Belgarion and Torak.  And when they
met, they decided there was no need to involve others.  Thus, the final
end game was just between the two of them, Belgarion and Torak, and each
prophecy they carried.  And what an end game it was...