[net.sf-lovers] Robert L. Forward

lmc@denelcor.UUCP (Lyle McElhaney) (01/15/85)

> I discovered another new (to me) author on that same trip ...
> Robert L. Forward.  His first novel, DRAGON's EGG, was published five
> years ago and is a real treat.

Forward's latest book, "The Flight of the Dragonfly" has been released in
a trade edition. Like "Dragon's Egg", the science is absolutely first rate
(as you would expect); very solidly based and yet imaginative in the style
of Hal Clement's planets. The engineering of the spacecraft and especially
the Christmas Bush robot(s) is unique.

The characterizations of the scientists in Dragonfly is, like his first book,
very stilted. To a man (and woman), the characters are *absolutely*
dedicated to their arts-science (all are multiply talented), and are extremely
well-adjusted to each other and their fates (they cannot have children,
will never return from their voyage, and experience relativitic alienation).
They have no faults. The story would be very boring if it had to depend
only on the characters and their interactions.

Buy it to read a world-class scientist speculate on inter-stellar travel.
The plot, in this case, is not the thing, nor the style. I've certainly
paid a lot more (than the trade price) for books that taught less without
half of the interest.

Lyle McElhaney
...denelcor!lmc
--
Lyle McElhaney
{hao, stcvax, brl-bmd, nbires, csu-cs} !denelcor!lmc

@RUTGERS.ARPA:milne@uci-icse (01/20/85)

From: Alastair Milne <milne@uci-icse>

>    > I discovered another new (to me) author on that same trip ...
>    > Robert L. Forward.  His first novel, DRAGON's EGG, was published
>    > five years ago and is a real treat.

>    Forward's latest book, "The Flight of the Dragonfly" has been
>    released in a trade edition. Like "Dragon's Egg", the science is
>    absolutely first rate (as you would expect); very solidly based and
>    yet imaginative in the style of Hal Clement's planets. The
>    engineering of the spacecraft and especially the Christmas Bush
>    robot(s) is unique.

   Thank you.  Having read and enormously enjoyed Dragon's Egg, I take that as
a strong recommendation.  I'll have to try to find "... Dragonfly".

   I agree completely about Forward's science.  After the disappointments,
gaps, and need for massive suspension of disbelieve so common with most
sf, the solidity and excitement of Forward's ideas is a great relief.

>    The characterizations of the scientists in Dragonfly is, like his
>    first book, very stilted. To a man (and woman), the characters are
>    *absolutely* dedicated to their arts-science (all are multiply
>    talented), and are extremely well-adjusted to each other and their
>    fates (they cannot have children, will never return from their
>    voyage, and experience relativistic alienation).  They have no
>    faults. The story would be very boring if it had to depend only on
>    the characters and their interactions.

   I have to contend with you about the characterisations on 2
points: 1 - the explorer type is often like that -- witness Thor
Heyerdahl, or the people who are not content until they've walked to
the South Pole or dog-paddled the Pacific (I am *not* mocking; I am
using hyperbole to emphasise a point):  without that kind of oneness of
purpose, they couldn't do it.  2 - I think you're only talking about
the human characters.  What about the various characters throughout the
history of the Egg (just now I can't remember what they called
themselves)?  Quite a variety of range and colour there -- recall the
"messiah" who was the first to feel the probe laser on his topsides.
And of course, that was the focus of the story: the evolution of the
neutron creatures and their society, and the most notable characters in
their history.

>    Buy it to read a world-class scientist speculate on inter-stellar
>    travel.  The plot, in this case, is not the thing, nor the style.
>    I've certainly paid a lot more (than the trade price) for books that
>    taught less without half of the interest.
>
>    Lyle McElhaney
>    ...denelcor!lmc
>    {hao, stcvax, brl-bmd, nbires, csu-cs} !denelcor!lmc

   Agreed on all counts.

                            Alastair Milne

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (01/28/85)

Wasn't TFotD published as a three part series in Analog not to long ago?
(Not to long  = ~2yrs) Or was the book made up of the articles? Seems a
lot of multiparters are ending up as books these days (Witness D. Palmers
Emergence) and had thought this was just one more such. The Analog story
concerned the investigation of a remarkable double planet system with
floating intellegent blobs that lived in a big bubble of water that got
moved between planets, etc. It had a ship called the Dragon Fly, and
a christmas bush. Is this the same story?

--Chuck

--
                                            - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my

mwm@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (01/31/85)

["That's DISGUSTING! I think I like it."]

Yes, the new Forward book TFotD is an expanded version of the serial that
appeared in Analog. At a rough guess, 50% of the material in the book is
new: covering preparations for the flight, the flight, and the Gargantua
flybys (sorta useless material, that). An appendix giving technical details
of the flight, including illos.

If you liked (or haven't read & like Forward and/or Clement) the serial,
the paperback is probably worth your $'s. The tradeback probably isn't.

Now, I want to by a Christmas Bush for my Vaxen. Anybody selling 'em?

	<mike