[net.sf-lovers] Another bad SF movie

jjchew@utcs.UUCP (John Chew) (01/23/85)

What?  A discussion on bad SF movies without one mention of John Carpenter's
"Dark Star"?  An alien mascot made out of a spray-painted beach-ball?  Space
effects where they don't bother trying to hide the wires?  And Alan Dean
Foster's ... er, marvellous novelization which... er... captured the flavour
of the movie exactly!
--
university of toronto computing services:  john j. chew, iii
{decvax,ihnp4,utcsrgv,allegra!utzoo,linus!utzoo}!utcs!jjchew

wjr@utcs.UUCP (William Rucklidge) (01/24/85)

> What?  A discussion on bad SF movies without one mention of John Carpenter's
Not to mention, of course, that classic song: "Benson, Arizona".
> "Dark Star"?  An alien mascot made out of a spray-painted beach-ball?  Space
> effects where they don't bother trying to hide the wires?  And Alan Dean
> Foster's ... er, marvellous novelization which... er... captured the flavour
> of the movie exactly!
> --
> university of toronto computing services:  john j. chew, iii
> {decvax,ihnp4,utcsrgv,allegra!utzoo,linus!utzoo}!utcs!jjchew

--
William Rucklidge	University of Toronto Computing Services
{decvax,ihnp4,utcsrgv,{allegra,linus}!utzoo}!utcs!wjr

ted@usceast.UUCP (Ted Nolan) (01/26/85)

<I am not Sargent Pinbeck!>

In article <385@utcs.UUCP> jjchew@utcs.UUCP (John Chew) writes:
>What?  A discussion on bad SF movies without one mention of John Carpenter's
>"Dark Star"?  An alien mascot made out of a spray-painted beach-ball?  Space
>effects where they don't bother trying to hide the wires?  And Alan Dean
>Foster's ... er, marvellous novelization which... er... captured the flavour
>of the movie exactly!
>--
>university of toronto computing services:  john j. chew, iii
>{decvax,ihnp4,utcsrgv,allegra!utzoo,linus!utzoo}!utcs!jjchew

Not quite fair, _Dark Star_ was, I believe, a student production and
quite good , that considered.  My favorite moment was when the audience
realized that the back packs on the space suits are muffin tins, but
given the budget that implies they did very well.

BTW, did anyone notice that part of the ending is stolen directly from
a Ray Bradbury story?

			Ted Nolan	..usceast!ted
Ted Nolan                   ...decvax!mcnc!ncsu!ncrcae!usceast!ted  (UUCP)
6536 Brookside Circle       ...akgua!usceast!ted
Columbia, SC 29206          allegra!akgua!usceast!ted@UCB-VAX.ARPA (ARPA, maybe)

      ("Deep space is my dwelling place, the stars my destination")

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuqui) (01/27/85)

In article <385@utcs.UUCP> jjchew@utcs.UUCP (John Chew) writes:
>What?  A discussion on bad SF movies without one mention of John Carpenter's
>"Dark Star"?  An alien mascot made out of a spray-painted beach-ball?  Space
>effects where they don't bother trying to hide the wires?

EEEKKKK! Scoundrel! Cad! Dark Star is a marvelous piece of fluff. It was
really a senior (masters?) project that made it out into the 'real' world.
No budget to worry about, so everything was done with ingenuity (I LOVED
the spacesuits-- silver trashbags, duct tape (without hamsters), half the
kitchen, a few pieces of styrofoam and a popcorn popper. It's funny. It's
not bad, and it actually has a number of interesting social statements in
it (one of my favorite 'beat society in the head films', along with Dr.
Strangelove, Rollerball, and Boy and His Dog). What's even better is
watching Dark Star a few times, and then going to a theater and watching
the film they did WITH a budget-- I got more than a few funny looks for
guffawing through a screening of Alien, but the in-jokes they tossed in
pointing back at their 'cult' film to keep you going through most of the
movie....

--
From the ministry of silly talks:               Chuq Von Rospach
{allegra,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

God is a trademark of AT&T Bell Labs
---
National Semiconductor does not require useless disclaimers on posted
material that is obviously not posted by company spokesmen...

bwm@ccice2.UUCP (Brad Miller) (01/28/85)

In article <385@utcs.UUCP> jjchew@utcs.UUCP (John Chew) writes:
>What?  A discussion on bad SF movies without one mention of John Carpenter's
>"Dark Star"?  An alien mascot made out of a spray-painted beach-ball?  Space
>effects where they don't bother trying to hide the wires?  And Alan Dean
>Foster's ... er, marvellous novelization which... er... captured the flavour
>of the movie exactly!

In case you didn't notice, "Dark Star" was a HACK. And a brilliant one at that.
I particularly liked the scene where the ship the 'dark star' hurtles away
from a planet they were bombing (basically because they had nothing better
to do) and stop instantaniously, ignoring inertia ("I never studied law -
B. Bunny).

This hilarious movie should not be missed if you've never seen it.

Brad Miller

--
...[rochester, cbrma, rlgvax, ritcv]!ccice5!ccice2!bwm

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) (01/28/85)

>From: jjchew@utcs.UUCP (John Chew)
>Subject: Another bad SF movie
>
>What?  A discussion on bad SF movies without one mention of John Carpenter's
>"Dark Star"?  An alien mascot made out of a spray-painted beach-ball?  Space
>effects where they don't bother trying to hide the wires?  And Alan Dean
>Foster's ... er, marvellous novelization which... er... captured the flavour
>of the movie exactly!

I must protest.  This is  one  of  my  favorite  films.  The  effects  were
obviously intentionally what they were and contributed greatly to the humor
of the situation.  Note that most of the effects they  wanted  to  be  good
were  ok  (the  laser  looked  real  enough).  The beach-ball alien and the
styrofoam-and-muffin-tin space suits were obviously intended as gag  items.
Ever wonder how they got that enormous elevator shaft into that small ship?

I didn't know the film had been novelized.  Doesn't strike me as a good, or
even  feasible,  idea,  but  I  haven't read it yet so I can't comment with
authority.
The Polymath (Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                               If thy CRT offend thee, pluck
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.                      it out and cast it from thee.
Santa Monica, California  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

barnett@ut-sally.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (01/29/85)

> >From: jjchew@utcs.UUCP (John Chew)
> >
> >What?  A discussion on bad SF movies without one mention of John Carpenter's
> >"Dark Star"?  An alien mascot made out of a spray-painted beach-ball?  Space
> >effects where they don't bother trying to hide the wires?  And Alan Dean
> >Foster's ... er, marvellous novelization which... er... captured the flavour
> >of the movie exactly!
>
> I must protest.  This is  one  of  my  favorite  films.  The  effects  were
> obviously intentionally what they were and contributed greatly to the humor
> of the situation.  Note that most of the effects they  wanted  to  be  good
> were  ok  (the  laser  looked  real  enough).  The beach-ball alien and the
> styrofoam-and-muffin-tin space suits were obviously intended as gag  items.
> Ever wonder how they got that enormous elevator shaft into that small ship?
>
> I didn't know the film had been novelized.  Doesn't strike me as a good, or
> even  feasible,  idea,  but  I  haven't read it yet so I can't comment with
> authority.
> --
> The Polymath (Jerry Hollombe)
> {vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

I second -- "Dark Star" was fabulous!  I was under the impression that
Alan Dean Foster's novel came first, but given his penchant for novel-
ization, I could be wrong.  If it is a novelization, it's possibly his
best, though that is perhaps faint praise.

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

-- barnett@ut-sally.ARPA, barnett@ut-sally.UUCP,
      {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!barnett

@RUTGERS.ARPA,@MIT-MC:ASP@MIT-OZ (01/30/85)

From: Jim Aspnes <ASP%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>

Not to mention the spacesuit backpacks made out of white-painted TV dinner
trays.  Dark Star served its purpose well, though.  What other movie has
managed to trash so many SF conventions so well while maintaining a straight
face?  And I've never seen a talking dead character who was so realistically
senile ...

Jim
"Seargent Pinback, you are null data."

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (02/01/85)

>Ever wonder how they got that enormous elevator shaft into that small ship?

Better yet, look closely at the size of the bombs vs. the size of the ship,
and try to figure out where they stored 20 of those things. (Ye Gads, Dark
star was a tardis! They're time lords!)

chuq
--
From the ministry of silly talks:               Chuq Von Rospach
{allegra,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Life, the Universe, and lots of other stuff  is a trademark of AT&T Bell Labs

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (02/02/85)

> >Ever wonder how they got that enormous elevator shaft into that small ship?
> >[in Dark Star]
>
> Better yet, look closely at the size of the bombs vs. the size of the ship,
> and try to figure out where they stored 20 of those things.

Last weekend I saw the 1935 movie The Tunnel, also titled The Transatlantic
Tunnel.  (Incidentally, all prints of this were believed lost.  Also inci-
dentally, it's a British remake of a 1933 German movie.)  For a 1930's sf
movie, it wasn't that bad -- but there were some nice howlers.

Like... you're digging a tunnel, depicted as about 30-40 feet in diameter,
from London to New York.  This is somewhat over 3000 miles.  Converting
to metric, say 10 m diam and 5000 km length.  The volume of the tunnel is
therefore PI*5*5*5000000 m^3, which is 400000000 m^3.  If the rock has
only 2.5 times the density of water, that's ONE BILLION metric TONS to be
lifted to sea level and disposed of... this was simply ignored!  And the
1500-mile trip from the tunnel ends to the working face was depicted as
taking a time on the order of minutes, maybe an hour, in vehicles shown
moving at no more than 50 mph...

Mark Brader

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (02/02/85)

> >Ever wonder how they got that enormous elevator shaft into that small ship?
> >[in Dark Star]
>
> Better yet, look closely at the size of the bombs vs. the size of the ship,
> and try to figure out where they stored 20 of those things.

Last weekend I saw the 1935 movie The Tunnel, also titled The Transatlantic
Tunnel.  (It's a British remake of a 1933 German movie.  All prints of it
were believed lost.)  For a 1930's sf movie, it wasn't that bad -- but there
were some nice howlers.

Like... you're digging a tunnel, depicted as about 30-40 feet in diameter,
from London to New York.  This is somewhat over 3000 miles.  Converting
to metric, say 10 m diam and 5000 km length.  The volume of the tunnel is
therefore PI*5*5*5000000 m^3, just about 400000000 m^3.  Even if the rock has
only 2.5 times the density of water, that's ONE BILLION metric TONS of spoil
(some miles below sea level, too) that you have to dispose of... this was
simply ignored!  And the 1500-mile trip from the tunnel ends to the working
face was depicted as taking no more than, oh, an hour... in vehicles shown
moving at no more than 50 mph...

Mark Brader

gnome@olivee.UUCP (02/06/85)

Of course they are Time Lords!  The beach-ball was their equivalent
to K-9!

"Let there be light!"

Gary