[net.sf-lovers] Ellison's 'Deathbird' dedication

@RUTGERS.ARPA:markl@mit-borax (02/07/85)

From: markl@mit-borax (Mark Lambert)

>   One of my all time favorite science fiction works was the
>DEATHBIRD by Harlan "the little monster" Ellison...
>...My only
>problem with it was the 'dedication' at the end, (for those of you
>who haven't read it I won't ?spoil? it for you by printing it here)
>I can't figure it out.  Nothing in that story happened without a
>reason!  Having little knowledge of the person referred to, and little
>more of his works, I have never been able to understand the
>significance of the last line... the 'dedication'.

**** SPOILER WARNING ****

I believe the dedication at the end of 'Deathbird' is in reference to
something Mark Twain once said, to the effect that if God did indeed put
us on this earth and permitted all our wars, suffering, etc., then he must
have been insane...

				Mark Lambert
				markl@mit-borax.arpa

"So, so you think you can tell