[net.sf-lovers] Yet Another Zelazny Oldie Heard From

bwm@ccice2.UUCP (Brad Miller) (01/30/85)

In article <427@topaz.ARPA> @RUTGERS.ARPA:ddern@bbncch writes:
>To continue the listing of Zelazny's earlier gems, let's also not forget
>  ISLE OF THE DEAD
>Of his novels, I like this and "And Call Me Conrad..." best.  The writing is
>exquisite; the ideas good; the plot sound.
>
>Much of Zelazny's earlier short fiction are also real humdingers; e.g.
>  "The Doors of his Face, The Lamps of His Mouth" (or something like that...)
>  "A Rose For Ecclesiastes" (still gives me goosebumps to read it)

Not to mention 'Chronicles'. BTW: For those of you trying to find "And Call Me Conrad.."
it was more recently published as "Roadmarks". A must read.

Brad Miller
--
...[rochester, cbrma, rlgvax, ritcv]!ccice5!ccice2!bwm

gek@ihu1j.UUCP (glenn kapetansky) (01/31/85)

I was just re-reading Z's Creatures of Light and Darkness (for the
umpteenth time; I STILL find new treasures!), and I thought the
following absolution of the "non-theistic, non-sectarian sort" was
worth sharing:

	"Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may
not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven
for anything you may have done or failed to do which requires
forgiveness. Conversely, if not forgiveness but something else
may be required to insure any possible benefit for which you may
be eligible after the destruction of your body, I ask this, what-
ever it may be, be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in
such a manner as to insure your receiving said benefit. I ask
this in my capacity as your elected intermediary between yourself
and that which may not be yourself, but which may have an interest
in the matter of your receiving as much as it is possible for you
to receive of this thing, and which may in some way be influenced
by this ceremony.
			Amen."
--
glenn kapetansky

"Think of it as evolution in action"

...ihnp4!ihu1j!gek

kupfer@ucbvax.ARPA (Mike Kupfer) (02/02/85)

> BTW: For those of you trying to find "And Call Me Conrad.."
> it was more recently published as "Roadmarks". A must read.

The alternate title for "...And Call Me Conrad" is "This Immortal".
"Roadmarks" centers around a road that goes through Time and includes
brief appearances by Jack the Ripper and (if I recall correctly) Adolf
Hitler (have I got you curious now?).  Pick it up when you get your
copy of "This Immortal".
--
Mike Kupfer
kupfer@Berkeley

ndd@duke.UUCP (Ned Danieley) (02/04/85)

>Not to mention 'Chronicles'. BTW: For those of you trying to find "And Call Me Conrad.."
>it was more recently published as "Roadmarks". A must read.
>
>Brad Miller
>--
>...[rochester, cbrma, rlgvax, ritcv]!ccice5!ccice2!bwm

No, "Roadmarks" is not "...And Call Me Conrad", which appeared
in F&SF in 1965, and in a longer form as the novel "This Immortal".
"Roadmarks" is an entirely different beast, but definitely a must
read for Zelazny fans, and highly recommended for other sf readers.

Ned Danieley
duke!ndd

@RUTGERS.ARPA:ddern@bbncch (02/04/85)

From: Daniel Dern <ddern@BBNCCH.ARPA>

To continue the listing of Zelazny's earlier gems, let's also not forget
  ISLE OF THE DEAD
Of his novels, I like this and "And Call Me Conrad..." best.  The writing is
exquisite; the ideas good; the plot sound.

Much of Zelazny's earlier short fiction are also real humdingers; e.g.
  "The Doors of his Face, The Lamps of His Mouth" (or something like that...)
  "A Rose For Ecclesiastes" (still gives me goosebumps to read it)

---

On the "female protogonist" survey, what about

Patricia McKillip's "RIDDLE OF STARS" trilogy ("The Riddle Master Of Hed",
"Heir of Sea and Fire", "Harpist In The Wind"), particularly the middle
volume.  We have many very strong women leads here.  This trilogy also
happens to be one of what I consider THE best efforts of the past decade,
up there with ENGINE SUMMER and others I can't think of at the moment.

RITE OF PASSAGE, by Alexei Panshin.

Joanna Russ' Alyx novels (AND CHAOS DIED, PICNIC ON PARADISE) and stories
  (in a collection or two, and scattered)

Leigh Brackett's Jirel of Jhoiry stories (maybe)

Daniel Dern
ddern@bbn.arpa

gail@calmasd.UUCP (Gail B. Hanrahan) (02/05/85)

In article <ccice2.576> bwm@ccice2.UUCP (Bradford W. Miller) writes:
>... BTW: For those of you trying to find "And Call Me Conrad.."
>it was more recently published as "Roadmarks". A must read.

_And Call Me Conrad..._ (is that really the original title?) was
more recently published as _This Immortal_.  _Roadmarks_ is no
relation.

I recommend _Roadmarks_ -- I have to love a book that has all
the chapters numbered 1 or 2.  Zelazny was doing some strange
stuff in this book, and it is one of his best.

Gail Bayley Hanrahan
Calma Company, San Diego
{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!calmasd!gail

chenr@tilt.FUN (Ray Chen) (02/05/85)

> Not to mention 'Chronicles'. BTW: For those of you trying to find
> "And Call Me Conrad.." it was more recently published as "Roadmarks".
>  A must read.
>
> Brad Miller
> --
> ...[rochester, cbrma, rlgvax, ritcv]!ccice5!ccice2!bwm

"Anc Call Me Conrad" was re-released as "This Immortal".  Definitely a good
read.  "Roadmarks" is also pretty good.

	Ray Chen
	princeton!tilt!chenr

lazarus@sunybcs.UUCP (Daniel G. Winkowski) (02/08/85)

> Not to mention 'Chronicles'. BTW: For those of you trying to find "And Call Me Conrad.."
> it was more recently published as "Roadmarks". A must read.
>
> Brad Miller
> --
> ...[rochester, cbrma, rlgvax, ritcv]!ccice5!ccice2!bwm
-----
no! Roadmarks is a newer Zelazny work.

a plug for my favorite Zelazny novel - Lord of Light.
--
Today we live in the future,