[net.sf-lovers] Recent Niven Books

@RUTGERS.ARPA:boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (02/08/85)

From: boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Jerry Boyajian)

From:	ucbvax!wildbill	(Bill Laubenheimer)

>> The story was mainly an exploration of the Smoke Ring,
>> showing the reading how diverse and fascinating this place is.
>
>> I hope that the sequel presents a more interesting 'story',
>> now that the world has been at least partially explored.
>
> I recently got \\The Integral Trees// myself. I have the same complaint:
> the environment is very interesting, but it all seems quite unmotivated.

Funny, these were my exact feelings about RINGWORLD, and I thought
(re: the second ">>" comment) RINGWORLD ENGINEERS was much better
for that very reason.

> In the latter group are two stories set in
> the Warlock universe, which are collected in \\More Magic//. This would
> appear to be a collection of previously uncollected Warlock stories,
> but I haven't seen it yet.

MORE MAGIC is not a collection of more Warlock stories by Niven, but an
anthology edited by Niven with stories, by other authors, set in the
Warlock universe. They are all original to the anthology, except for
one, which is Niven's "Not Long Before the End". It appeared from Ace
last June as a trade paperback.

Oddly enough, the Berserker story by Niven in LIMITS was solicited for a
similar anthology edited by Saberhagen. This book, BERSERKER BASE, will
be a trade paperback from Tor Books this month. I believe that all of the
stories in it have already appeared in the magazines, though.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA