[net.sf-lovers] Sucharitkul

@RUTGERS.ARPA:wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA (01/25/85)

From: Will Martin -- AMXAL-RI <wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA>

Hi!

The recent traffic about Somtow Sucharitkul prompted me to read some of his
stuff, and it is well worth reading. One query: how is his name pronounced?

I can think of several variations:

Lastname: su-CHAR-it-kul (the one I've been using)
	such-A-rit-kul
	SUCHA-rit-kul
	su-cha-RIT-kul
	SU-char-it-kul

Firstname: SOME-toe
	some-TAU
	SAHM-toe
	SOAM-tau

and numerous variations or different ones than the above...

Can anyone who knows him, or who knows Thai, enlighten us?

Will

rgs@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (Robert Stockton) (01/27/85)

I have talked with Somtow on several occasions and heard his name pronounced
quite often and it seems to be consistently pronounced as
   SOAM-tau su-cha-RIT-kul.

On the other hand, I believe he has stated that his last name may also be
pronounced JONES.

                                        -Robert Stockton
--
Robert Stockton
ARPA: rgs@CMU-CS-SPICE.ARPA

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (02/08/85)

In article <380@topaz.ARPA> @RUTGERS.ARPA:wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA writes:
>From: Will Martin -- AMXAL-RI <wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA>
>

>The recent traffic about Somtow Sucharitkul prompted me to read some of his
>stuff, and it is well worth reading. One query: how is his name pronounced?

	... Somtow pronounces his name differently from everybody (like Poul
	Anderson, it includes sounds that don't occur in English); the
	canonical pronunciation (that he writes on his name badges etc) is
	suture-WRIT-cool.

	Sorry if this is out of date; I'm just catching up.
--
		Opinions stated here are my own and are unrelated.

				Charlie Martin
				(...mcnc!duke!crm)