[net.sf-lovers] Whoites vs Trekies

@RUTGERS.ARPA:Rich@udel-dewey.ARPA (02/01/85)

From: Anne Rich <rich@udel-eecis2>

From personal experience I would have to guess that there are
more trekies than whoites.  At least in this area, Star Trek
episodes are shown pretty consistently, while Dr. Who comes and
goes.

I went to the Dr. Who Convention in Philadelphia last year
around this time, and Tom Baker said that while Dr. Who has a
fairly large following in the U.S., there aren't really any
"whoites" in England - the show evidently isn't really all that
big there.

I wish I could answer your question about the female character
with the hat, but, as you've probably gotten from other readers,
you'd have to be more specific.  There have been so many female
leads on Dr. Who over the years - Teegan, Nyssa, Leela, Romana
just off the top of my head.

Anne

jcgowl@ihlpg.UUCP (r. gowland) (02/01/85)

> From: Anne Rich <rich@udel-eecis2>
>
> I went to the Dr. Who Convention in Philadelphia last year
> around this time, and Tom Baker said that while Dr. Who has a
> fairly large following in the U.S., there aren't really any
> "whoites" in England - the show evidently isn't really all that
> big there.

Part of the reason why the Dr. Who show doesn't seem to have such
a big following in the UK is that it is made for and aimed at
children in the age-group from 5 to 12. It is broadcast in prime
childrens' viewing timeslots, usually 5pm Saturday with sometimes
repeats at 6pm on a Monday. It is acknowledged by many that the
programme is for kids, but loved by adults. I *like* (as opposed
to *love*) it, but prefer Star Trek which comes at us in 50
minutes complete programmes. Dr. Who (as Richard Jeffreys
probably pointed out) is shown over 4, 5 or 6 weeks at 25 minutes
per episode.
ihlpg!jcgowl Roger R. Gowland at Indian Hill (temporarily)

jcgowl@ihlpg.UUCP (r. gowland) (02/01/85)

>                              Dr. Who (as Richard Jeffreys
> probably pointed out) is shown over 4, 5 or 6 weeks at 25 minutes
> per episode.

If I knew then what I know now I could have pointed out that the
group tv.drwho is where to find Richard's mention of this.
ihlpg!jcgowl Roger R. Gowland at Indian Hill (temporarily)

jca@abnji.UUCP (james armstrong) (02/01/85)

>I went to the Dr. Who Convention in Philadelphia last year
>around this time, and Tom Baker said that while Dr. Who has a
>fairly large following in the U.S., there aren't really any
>"whoites" in England - the show evidently isn't really all that
>big there.

Tom Baker must have forgotten the 100,000 people who went to Longleats,
in Wiltshire, for the 20th Anniversary celebration, Easter, 1983.  Or
the fact that it is consistently one of Britains most watched shows.
(7,000,000 + per episode)

The fans are of different types, perhaps this was what TB was refering to.
I don't know, last year around this time I was watching Frontion on BBC-1!

re: Dr. Who vs Star Trek

The biggest thing going for Dr. Who is that it is new.  Every year 26 (usually)
new episodes are released.  There will be over 650 at the end of the present
season.  I used to watch Star Trek, but after 10 times, it does get a bit
boring!  (The movies have all been below my expectations)

If you get a chance, watch Dr Who!  At first, it may make no sense, you may
be caught with a bad story ("Power of Kroll!"), but give it a chance and it
will grow on you.  Admittedly, it doesn't have the special effects that
US Sci-Fi TV shows have, but it puts something else in instead: A plot.

nairb@ihlpg.UUCP (b. enke) (02/02/85)

> re: Dr. Who vs Star Trek
>
> The biggest thing going for Dr. Who is that it is new.  Every year 26 (usually)
> new episodes are released.  There will be over 650 at the end of the present
> season.  I used to watch Star Trek, but after 10 times, it does get a bit
> boring!  (The movies have all been below my expectations)
>
> If you get a chance, watch Dr Who!  At first, it may make no sense, you may
> be caught with a bad story ("Power of Kroll!"), but give it a chance and it
> will grow on you.  Admittedly, it doesn't have the special effects that
> US Sci-Fi TV shows have, but it puts something else in instead: A plot.

I've seen gobs of news concerning how BAD everyone thought *Power of Kroll*
was, so I must be very rare.  This episode was actually the first one I
ever saw, and I'm still watching !!  It was bad, though.

However, about your plots statement, GET SERIOUS!!

By the way, another vote for the "worst WORST WORST!!!" sci-fi movie of all
time is ??? (I can't remember the name because it was so bad).   The plot
went something like this:  China blows up the world, but first, one rocket
escapes, travelling to Venus.  The rocket contains four men and three women
(typical Adam and Eve), and these people are faced with really corny
decisions throughout the trip.  The ending completely ruined this already
bad movie, though.  After watching it, I still don't know if they made it
to Venus or got blown to bits by some all-powerful Venesian god! BLAH!!
Adam and Eve), and

asz@snow.UUCP (Jerry Cornelius) (02/08/85)

	I'm sorry but Tom Baker was wrong. There are whoites in England and
quite a few of them. Both convention and zine fandom exist and flourish. I've
no idea about Star Trek, I just like it. I think the fact that Star Trek
has finished while Dr Who continues with new stories and Doctors may have
some influence with the future. This means that another generation will
grow up with another Doctor.

--
"Anarchy is the only sensible alternative; don't vote, you know it makes sense"

			... mcvax!ukc!qtlon!flame!ubu!snow!asz