[net.sf-lovers] Identify This One, Please?

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (02/02/85)

I suspect this request is a tuffy.

Can anyone identify the story by title and author (and publication)
from the following:

It was written and published prior to 1949 for I had a copy in 1948
or late 1947.
It was probably a novelette or long short story.
It involved a mining operation <in> the sun.
Ships were able to penetrate the sun by a field which somehow polarized
the molecules (atoms?) of both ship and sun allowing those of the ship
to "slip" between those of the sun. That's all I remember except that
the story involved one trip into the sun and back out. Something
unusual happened there,but I haven't the foggiest idea what anymore.
It was most likely something from Planet Stories, or TWS, or SS (needless
to say, not the Big A).
I have a special reason to recall this story so I would much appreciate
any help.  Thanks in advance!  I know you can do it!
--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

@RUTGERS.ARPA:Slocum.CSCDA@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (02/04/85)

From: Slocum@HI-MULTICS.ARPA

> Ships were able to penetrate the sun by a field which somehow >
polarized the molecules (atoms?)  of both ship and sun allowing those >
of the ship to "slip" between those of the sun.  That's all I > remember
except that the story involved one trip into the sun and > back out.
Something unusual happened there,but I haven't the > foggiest idea what
anymore.

This sounds kind of like "The Golden Apples of the Sun" by Ray Bradbury.
This is a short story in the collection by the same name.

Brett Slocum

Slocum.HI-MULTICS.ARPA ...!inhp4!umn-cs!hi-csc!slocum

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (02/10/85)

In article <552@topaz.ARPA> jpa144@cit-vax writes:
>> Ships were able to penetrate the sun by a field which somehow
>>polarized the molecules (atoms?)  of both ship and sun allowing
>>those of the ship to "slip" between those of the sun.  That's all I
>>remember except that the story involved one trip into the sun and
>>back out.
>
>I'm SURE this is <The Weather Man> or its sequel, both short stories by
>an author whose name escapes me at the moment.

I'm pretty sure the author was Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

--
=Spencer
	({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)