[misc.wanted] Need Free/Cheap GOOD schematic editor and PCB layouter

misha@nsc.NSC.COM (Michael Umansky) (11/06/86)

I have an immediate need for a Schematic Editor and a
Printed Circuit Board Layout programs.
I would like to run this on IBM XT with CGA/EGA and mouse.
Can someone recommend GOOD Public Domain or CHEAP versions
of those programs and where would I get them.
Thank you.
--
		NAME:   Michael Umansky (misha)
		E-MAIL: ucbvax!hplabs!nsc!misha

sow@luthcad.UUCP (11/10/86)

In article <3881@nsc.NSC.COM> misha@nsc.UUCP writes:
>I have an immediate need for a Schematic Editor and a
>Printed Circuit Board Layout programs.

In august 1985 ther was a PCB program posted to net.sources.
I have not implemented the program so I do not know if it is
GOOD program. I enclose a copy of the advertisement for the
program.

Sven-Ove Westberg
Lulea University of Technology
Computer Aided Analysis and Design
S-951 87  Lulea,  Sweden

Tel: 46-920-91677               Telex:   80447 LuHS
UUCP:  {decvax,philabs,seismo}!mcvax!enea!luthcad!sow

PCB is an integrated router and editor to design printed circuits boards.
It adopts the 'correct by construction' principle, that is it will enforce
a certain set of design rules (such as cooper traces have to maintain a
minimal separation, holes have to be aligned etc). PCB maintains a data base
of the desired circuit to insure that signals of different net cannot be
shorted, to keep track of unfinished nets, to support the routers etc.

PCB V1.24 features:
   * Interactive layout editing functions with on-the-fly design rule
     checking and enforcement.
   * Interactive placement functions.
   * Integrated routers that can be used interactively or automatically.
     (Completion rates of >90% were achieved on a board with about 1.9
     14 pin DIP chips / square inch)
   * Functions to move, shorten or straighten wires.
   * Supports the MOSIS process for 4 layer PC boards.
   * Update functions to allow changes to the circuit data base without
     re-routing the entire board.
   * Support for externally supplied geometry (such as connectors,
     text strings, logos etc).
   * Multiple wire widths.
   * Caltech Intermediate Form (CIF V2) output generator.
   * Versatec Plotter output for previews.

Required input files:
   * A list of device descriptions.
   * A list of used devices with optional placement information.
   * A net list of the desired circuit.

Required hardware:
   * A VAX running Unix 4.1 BSD
   * An unmodified AED-512 graphic terminal with a Bitpad-1 graphic
     tablet and a 4 key mouse.
   * (optional) A Versatec V-80 plotter

PCB is written in 'C' and it might be possible to port it to other
system configurations. It was successfully ported to 4.2 systems with
a different graphic hardware, however doing so requires some hacking.
A manual is included that gives some hints on how to port PCB.

The CIF output format is probably unpopular execpt for people with
MOSIS/Arpa connections. It is defined in the Mead & Conway book on
VLSI systems and PCB uses only a few constructs of it. In other words,
it should be easy to change the post-processor to produce other output
formats (I'm interested in any such code).

Please send me a message with your e-mail address if you use PCB.
This is because of curiousity and to have a way to send out bug-fixes.

  Andreas Nowatzyk       ARPA net:  agn@cmu-cs-vlsi.arpa
                          usenet:   ...!seismo!cmu-cs-vlsi!agn

cabbie@chinet.UUCP (Richard Andrews) (11/13/86)

	I am also interested in the program.  Could someone send the sources
to me too?

				Rich Andrews
				...ihnp4!chinet!cabbie

Any opinions expressed above are my own.        Rich Andrews
 They can be yours too.  Please send $19.95 to.....ihnp4!chinet!cabbie

amir@booboo.UUCP (Amir Majidimehr) (11/19/86)

>    I have an immediate need for a Schematic Editor and a
>    Printed Circuit Board Layout programs.
>    I would like to run this on IBM XT with CGA/EGA and mouse.
>    Can someone recommend GOOD Public Domain or CHEAP versions
>    of those programs and where would I get them.
>    Thank you.

Me too please!

Amir H. Majidimehr
Gould Inc, Computer Systems Division
{sun,pur-ee,brl-bmd}!gould!amir

mark@cogent.UUCP (Mark Steven Jeghers) (11/21/86)

In article <5@houligan.UUCP> amir@booboo.UUCP (Amir Majidimehr) writes:

>>    I have an immediate need for a Schematic Editor and a
>>    Printed Circuit Board Layout programs.
>>    I would like to run this on IBM XT with CGA/EGA and mouse.
>>    Can someone recommend GOOD Public Domain or CHEAP versions
>>    of those programs and where would I get them.
>>    Thank you.
>
>Me too please!

Me three please!
|     Mark Steven Jeghers - the living incarnation of "Deep-Thought"         |
|     ("You won't like the answer ... you didn't ask it very well.")         |
|     {ihnp4,cbosgd,lll-lcc,lll-crg}|{dual,ptsfa}!cogent!mark                |
|            ^^^^^^-------recommended------^^^^^                             |
| Cogent Software Solutions can not be held responsible for anything said    |
| by the above person since they have no control over him in the first place |

ems@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (11/24/86)

   Prefer (but not a must), something that would work with a Bauch & Lomb
 ( AKA Huston Insturments) DMP- 29 eight pen plotter, or HP 7474(?).

------------- fold, spindle, mutilate at will ------(it's your CRT) ----
 Gordon P. Vickers, (408) 991-5370,
 Signetics Corp., PO Box 409, M/S 69, Sunnyvale, Ca 94086
 {allegra,decvax,ihnp4}!philabs!prls!ems
  or
 {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!amdimage!prls!ems

   Kick the habit: ask the American Lung Association about their
    "Freedom From Smoking" class. It worked for me, the wife, and 75%
     of the class. What a differance! Its GREAT!

  [ In this correspondance, I am representing myself and no others.
  I am not part of the PRLS group, but they are nice enough to allow me
  to TIP(1) to an account on their machine so I can send/receive email.]