[misc.wanted] c64 power supply

bhf@mtuxo.UUCP (b.freedman) (12/15/86)

I have a c64 with what appears to be a dead power supply.  Can they be
fixed?  Does anyone have an extra to sell? Where can they be picked up
in the central Jersey area?

Thanks for any help.  Barry

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (12/26/86)

Toys-R-Us routinely stocks replacement power packs for the C-64.  I
have about 6 C-64s to take care of in one of our labs.  The power
packs made in the last couple of years are potted in plastic, which
makes servicing even the fuse pretty nasty.  If I remember right,
the Toys-R-Us model was good for 5 amps and cost "only" $29.

You might also thumb through the back of Byte Magazine in the ads.
I think Jameco Electronics has a C-64 power pack in the same price
range.  For a few bucks extra, they should be able to get it to you
in just a couple of days by 2nd day air UPS.  Jameco also stocks
replacement VIC-2 chips, PALs, SIDs, etc for the C-64.

My experience has been that the SID seems particularly sensitive to
overvoltage, and will burn out relatively quickly.  Use care when
monkeying with the power for your C-64 that you keep the voltage to
5.0 volts maximum!  (on Vcc, that is.)

By the way, when the new 256K ram pack for the C-64 comes out, it
will include a new power pack to accomodate the additional power
required for the memory cartridge.

Also, thanks Commodore for making the power pack for th C-128
decent.  It was about time that the fuse was made accessible
without taking a chisel to the plastic blob!

  --Bill

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP    ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)

In article <342@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>                                                          The power
>packs made in the last couple of years are potted in plastic, which
>makes servicing even the fuse pretty nasty.
>
>Also, thanks Commodore for making the power pack for th C-128
>decent.  It was about time that the fuse was made accessible
>without taking a chisel to the plastic blob!
>
>Bill Mayhew

The potted power supplies are a result of trying to sell the same system/supply
in Canda as the US.  The Canadian safty testing outfit (CSA) thinks that "NO
USER SERVICABLE PARTS" means no user replacable fuse.  If the power supply fuse
were replacable, then the whole mess needs to be certified in a different
category.  There is also some tie-in with whether or not a 3-prong plug is
required.