[misc.wanted] Wanted - UUCP for MS-DOS

merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) (12/18/86)

Posting this for a friend:

Does anyone know where to get a uucp program for MS-DOS?
I would like to run news and mail on a Sperry box.
Any pointers?

Please reply via phone, I don't have net access.

Mark Niedzielski
301-738-6676 or 202-234-6461
--
	David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon
	PhoneNet:	(202) 694-6900

sansom@trwrb.UUCP (Richard Sansom) (12/19/86)

In article <228@hqda-ai.UUCP> seismo!sundc!hqda-ai!merlin writes:
>Does anyone know where to get a uucp program for MS-DOS?
>I would like to run news and mail on a Sperry box.
>Any pointers?

For that matter, does anyone out there know of any uucp sources for
the micro world in general? (Sorry if this is an old issue - I'm new
to this group).

Thanks in advance.

-Rich
--
 __________ ______ ____ _____ ___
/_________//___   ||__|/____|/__/   Richard E. Sansom

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (12/24/86)

In article <1480@trwrb.UUCP> sansom@trwrb.UUCP (Richard Sansom) writes:
>In article <228@hqda-ai.UUCP> seismo!sundc!hqda-ai!merlin writes:
>>Does anyone know where to get a uucp program for MS-DOS?
>>I would like to run news and mail on a Sperry box.
>For that matter, does anyone out there know of any uucp sources for
>the micro world in general?

Last I heard, the only package available was from Lauren Weinstein
(@ vortex?) for $200, no source. I haven't seen anything posted by
him in a while, so I don't know if he's still on the net.

--
New .signature under construction.

cgf@ednor.UUCP (Chris Faylor) (12/28/86)

>In article <228@hqda-ai.UUCP> seismo!sundc!hqda-ai!merlin writes:
>Does anyone know where to get a uucp program for MS-DOS?
>I would like to run news and mail on a Sperry box.

Ross Greenberg, author of the "RamNet" background communications facility
for the IBM PC has just announced an augmentation to RamNet to allow it
to do UUCP communications.  If I understand his plans correctly, he will
soon be offering different "drop in" overlays to handle any type of
communication protocols (like YMODEM, KERMIT, ZMODEM).

I have been using RamNet for a year now and it does work as advertised.
You can transfer files to and from another PC while doing other stuff in
the foreground.  Ross is constantly improving the product, too.

You can get more information at the following address:

		Software Concept Design
		59 Third Avenue
		New York, NY  10016

		(212) 889-6431

The price for RamNet is currently $149.

I have no connection with Ross other than as a buyer of seven copies of his
product.
--------
			-Chris Faylor-
{harvard,decvax}!wanginst!ednor!cgf
{{harvard,ll-xn}!adelie,{decvax,allegra,talcott}!encore}!munsell!ednor!cgf
"I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here."

crayinc@mhuxi.UUCP (12/31/86)

> Posting this for a friend:
>
> Does anyone know where to get a uucp program for MS-DOS?
> I would like to run news and mail on a Sperry box.
> Any pointers?
>
> Please reply via phone, I don't have net access.
>
> Mark Niedzielski
> 301-738-6676 or 202-234-6461
> --
> 	David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon
> 	PhoneNet:	(202) 694-6900
> 	ARPA:		merlin%hqda-ai@brl-smoke
> 	UUCP:		...!seismo!sundc!hqda-ai!merlin

                     Program "uuslave.c"

           On a BBS in New Jersey there is a program called uuslave
           it is under the UNIX/XENIX programs section. It comes in
           C source and it might do what you ask or be a foundation
           for it. Programs are free on the board.
           The number for the ACGNJ-BBS is (201) 753-9758 .

-- Rick Tillbrook

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (01/02/87)

In article <904@mhuxi.UUCP>, crayinc@mhuxi.UUCP (Rick Tillbrook) writes:
>                      Program "uuslave.c"
>
>            On a BBS in New Jersey there is a program called uuslave
>            it is under the UNIX/XENIX programs section. It comes in
>            C source and it might do what you ask or be a foundation
>            for it. Programs are free on the board.
>            The number for the ACGNJ-BBS is (201) 753-9758 .

Before everybody calls this number, be warned that it is not a public
access system.  You can get in and read the bulletins but the *ss*oles
that run it will not let you download software from it without running
a mini-TRW check on you.  As if your receiving PD software from them
could endanger them in any way.  Give me a break.

PS:  If there are any "authorized users" for this wimp bbs out there,
please grab the uuslave.c file and mail it to me.  I will post it to
net.sources.  (If everyone who reads this grabs the file and posts
it, we will get 30 copies of the file -- so mail to me and I'll just
post one.)
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   gnu@ingres.berkeley.edu
  I forsee a day when there are two kinds of C compilers: standard ones and

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (01/02/87)

In article <1607@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>In article <904@mhuxi.UUCP>, crayinc@mhuxi.UUCP (Rick Tillbrook) writes:
>> ... stuff about a BBS with useful software
>
>Before everybody calls this number, be warned that it is not a public
>access system.  You can get in and read the bulletins but the *ss*oles
>that run it will not let you download software from it without running
>a mini-TRW check on you.  As if your receiving PD software from them
>could endanger them in any way.  Give me a break.

As the operator of a BBS, I have to come back on that one! I run a
small BBS for the local UNIX user's group, and offer it to the public
for $10. This is used to send the user's manual certified mail, return
receipt requested. This protexts me against some of the problems caused
by having idolt users post charge numbers, etc, on the board. I can
prove that there was someone at a given address who signed for a
letter, and I have the signature on file.

Before I instituted this policy I got all sorts of goodies, including
someone who posted some ATT source code, a way to beat the local phone
service, and an add from a hooker! I don't need that grief!

People who run a check on users are NOT *ss*oles, they are NOT worried
about you taking their software. They DO want to eliminate the bulk of
the users who use phoney names, and post all sorts of illegal stuff. I
think you should (publicly) rethink your position. Nobody makes any
money off a BBS (even those charging $50/year), and you should consider
the reasons for an action before shooting off your mouth.
--
bill davidsen			sixhub \
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (01/03/87)

In article <904@mhuxi.UUCP> crayinc@mhuxi.UUCP writes:
>> Does anyone know where to get a uucp program for MS-DOS?
>                     Program "uuslave.c"
>           On a BBS in New Jersey there is a program called uuslave
>           it is under the UNIX/XENIX programs section. It comes in
>           C source and it might do what you ask or be a foundation
>           for it. Programs are free on the board.
>           The number for the ACGNJ-BBS is (201) 753-9758 .
>-- Rick Tillbrook

It's a long way from NJ to Seattle (esp. at 300bps).. if somebody has
"uuslave.c" could they post it (I bet a lot of people would like to
have it!) or e-mail me a copy?

--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!sigma!bill

chan 'eil Gaidhlig math againn /kha nel' gal'ig' mweh ag0n'/
(we do not speak good Gaelic)

crayinc@mhuxi.UUCP (01/06/87)

> In article <904@mhuxi.UUCP>, crayinc@mhuxi.UUCP (Rick Tillbrook) writes:
> >                      Program "uuslave.c"
> >
> >            On a BBS in New Jersey there is a program called uuslave
> >            it is under the UNIX/XENIX programs section. It comes in
> >            C source and it might do what you ask or be a foundation
> >            for it. Programs are free on the board.
> >            The number for the ACGNJ-BBS is (201) 753-9758 .
>
> Before everybody calls this number, be warned that it is not a public
> access system.  You can get in and read the bulletins but the *ss*oles
> that run it will not let you download software from it without running
> a mini-TRW check on you.  As if your receiving PD software from them
> could endanger them in any way.  Give me a break.
>
> PS:  If there are any "authorized users" for this wimp bbs out there,
> please grab the uuslave.c file and mail it to me.  I will post it to
> net.sources.  (If everyone who reads this grabs the file and posts
> it, we will get 30 copies of the file -- so mail to me and I'll just
> post one.)
> --
> John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   gnu@ingres.berkeley.edu
>   I forsee a day when there are two kinds of C compilers: standard ones and
>   useful ones ... just like Pascal and Fortran.  Are we making progress yet?
> 	-- ASC:GUTHERY%slb-test.csnet

      The ACGNJ-BBS used to be an OPEN, NO REGISTRATION BOARD but due
      to all the children out there of all ages it requires you to
      leave your real name and a phone number.

      If anyone has ever run a BBS they will find out quickly why you
      can't leave it open. You get tired of Donald Duck, Goofy and the
      the elfs leaving obsene messages or credit card numbers and info.

      The best are the neat little trojan horses which attempt to wipe
      out the BBS or the hard disk of the unsuspecting person who calls
      the totally open BBS and downloads that little jewel.

      A verified user is unlikely to play game or won't last long on
      a BBS. Many open BBSs are so much work to keep clean they have
      a short life. Why should I spend my time, money and energy
      to provide a computer, phone lines and free PD programs to those
      who don't appreciate what is being done?

      If you want to remain anonymous, don't call the board, I don't care.

 -- Rick Tillbrook

yerazuws@rpics.RPI.EDU (Crah) (01/06/87)

In article <1054@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP writes:
> In article <1607@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
> >In article <904@mhuxi.UUCP>, crayinc@mhuxi.UUCP (Rick Tillbrook) writes:
> >> ... stuff about a BBS with useful software
> >
> >Before everybody calls this number, be warned that it is not a public
> >access system.  You can get in and read the bulletins but the *ss*oles
> >that run it will not let you download software from it without running
> >a mini-TRW check on you.  As if your receiving PD software from them
> >could endanger them in any way.  Give me a break.
>
> Before I instituted this policy I got all sorts of goodies, including
> someone who posted some ATT source code, a way to beat the local phone
> service, and an add from a hooker! I don't need that grief!
>
> People who run a check on users are NOT *ss*oles, they are NOT worried
> about you taking their software. They DO want to eliminate the bulk of
> the users who use phoney names, and post all sorts of illegal stuff. I
> think you should (publicly) rethink your position.

I can see both sides of the story on this one - having had a FIDO for a
while, it can become nervewracking to wonder what someone just
posted.  On the other hand, there ought to be some way for this poor
fellow to get his UUCP stuff without becoming a full-fledged user.
BBS's are supposed to HELP communication, not hinder it.

A friend (in Massachusetts, runs the WayStar FIDO (Rainbow catering))
does it this way - Anyone can post.  But- until he PERSONALLY checks
the complete text of the entry, no one can download it.  Certified users
can send mail that isn't intercepted by the sysop- and getting certified
means name, address, signature, and ten bucks a year.  By check.  And
he doesn't cash that check- he keeps it.  You send him another check for
whatever long-distance service you incur on FIDOmail.  He suggests
opening at $25 worth of credit.  *That* check he cashes.

This method (he feels) gives him an excellent handle on the situation.
If your check bounces, you're an unreliable jerk and don't get an
account.  If your check clears, he has a way to point any lawsuits away
from himself - namely, the account number and bank on that $10 check
that he doesn't cash.

But in any case, how can downloading a file put a BBS Sysop at
legal risk- provided the file was rock-solid public domain in the
first place?

		-Bill Yerazunis

meg@m-net.UUCP (Meg Geddes) (01/09/87)

In article <906@mhuxi.UUCP> crayinc@mhuxi.UUCP writes:

>      If anyone has ever run a BBS they will find out quickly why you
>      can't leave it open. You get tired of Donald Duck, Goofy and the
>      the elfs leaving obsene messages or credit card numbers and info.
>
>      The best are the neat little trojan horses which attempt to wipe
>      out the BBS or the hard disk of the unsuspecting person who calls
>      the totally open BBS and downloads that little jewel.

For what it's worth (and granted this is drift) I have run a bbs called
netMeg for over a year now that is completely open to the public from the
first call.  Never had a serious problem yet.  Obscene messages get deleted,
all programs are tested if not by me, by someone, never had any illegal
type messages, and the only nasty programs I get are occasional non-public
domain ones which are deleted immediately.  I believe I've had maybe two
obscene messages on my board since I started it.  So, for whatever reasons,
it *can* work.  I'm sorry others have not had this experience.

--
	Meg Geddes M-NET, Ann Arbor, Michigan
	{!ihnp4!itivax!m-net!meg} or {!ihnp4!chinet!meg}

        Don't take life so seriously... it ain't nohow permanent...

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (01/16/87)

>       If anyone has ever run a BBS they will find out quickly why you
>       can't leave it open. You get tired of Donald Duck, Goofy and the
>       the elfs leaving obsene messages or credit card numbers and info.
>       The best are the neat little trojan horses which attempt to wipe
>       out the BBS or the hard disk of the unsuspecting person who calls
>       the totally open BBS and downloads that little jewel.
>  -- Rick Tillbrook

I personally ran the PCNet ABBS system in San Francisco from about 1980-82.
It sat in my bedroom closet.  It was a fully open system.  Don't tell me
what it's like being a SYSOP.

All the flamage I see is about people logging in with pseudonyms or to
upload harmful things.  The use of pseudonyms is utterly legal and is
acceptable throughout society as a means of privacy protection (e.g. for
authors or people in the public eye) but these guys have trouble with it.
And I didn't want permission to upload a harmful program, I just wanted
to read what was already uploaded by an "approved" user.

My main point is that people should be able to access the information
on the system without going through any rigamarole.  I'm not saying
that you should let people *insert* information into the system --
though even on the system in question, anyone can post or read a
*message*, they just can't post or read a *piece of software*.  Whether
people can post is a local policy decision.  But they should be able to
read without hassle.

If you don't let outsiders do anything useful, why advertise the phone
number at all?  Just give it out to your friends.  But don't claim to be
a public access BBS.
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   gnu@ingres.berkeley.edu
/* No comment */

cc743805@sju.UUCP (conway) (01/21/87)

In article <1669@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:

>I personally ran the PCNet ABBS system in San Francisco from about 1980-82.
>It sat in my bedroom closet.  It was a fully open system.  Don't tell me
>what it's like being a SYSOP.

Bravo! Another brave soul who wandered into the black-hole of Sysop-dom!

>All the flamage I see is about people logging in with pseudonyms or to
>upload harmful things.  The use of pseudonyms is utterly legal and is
>acceptable throughout society as a means of privacy protection (e.g. for
>authors or people in the public eye) but these guys have trouble with it.
>And I didn't want permission to upload a harmful program, I just wanted
>to read what was already uploaded by an "approved" user.

I run a BBS right now, and I let users use pseudo's if they want to (put
it this way, my Co-SysOp's pseudo is 'The Flying Avodado').  Anyway, I have
not really noticed that the messages on my system are any different from
messages on no-pseudo BBS systems.  The quality of the system depends on
the quality of the operator(s).  I let people upload and download whatever
they want, with the express notice that nothing is guaranteed, and all
downloading and subsequent program use is at their own risk.

>[...]  But they [BBS users] should be able to read without hassle.

My users CAN read and post without hassle.  Why shouldn't they?

>If you don't let outsiders do anything useful, why advertise the phone
>number at all?  Just give it out to your friends.  But don't claim to be
>a public access BBS.

My system is a public access system, and you can try it out for yourself,
at 215/885-0182. 1200/300 baud (no that's not an advertisement).  Take a
look and see what a IBM BBS that lets people 'do their own thing' feels
like.  It is sort of a renegade system though - we only have 1 computer
related discussion forum.....

Chuck Conway
...!bpa!burdvax!sju!cc743805