[misc.wanted] Used 1200 baud modem for < $100.00, additional info

dant@tekigm2.TEK.COM (Daniel B. Thurman) (03/06/87)

	I goofed...

	The message I posted for a friend requesting a 1200 baud
	modem must have a RS-232-C interface to be hooked up to
	a standard terminal.

	He wanted Hayes compatability. Bells and whistles are nice,
	but not absolutely necessary. (For < $100.00 ??)

	Is there one for less than $100.00, used or new???

	Please send info to:

	-------------------------------
	| Pat Rickman   (503)-646-4848 |
	-------------------------------

Thanks in advance!

Dan

krs@amdahl.UUCP (03/07/87)

In article <1536@tekigm2.TEK.COM> dant@tekigm2.TEK.COM (Daniel B. Thurman) writes:
>[...]
>	He wanted Hayes compatability. Bells and whistles are nice,
>	but not absolutely necessary. (For < $100.00 ??)
>
>	Is there one for less than $100.00, used or new???

Dan...

  You might mention the (Hayes compatible) Haba 1200 to your friend.
I picked one up for around $200 new at a local shop (Fry's, for you
South-Bay-Areites) and have had no problems with it except that its
defaults include autoanswer - take a power hit while you're away and
it answers the phone before your answering machine can.  I unplug
the phone line when not using the modem.

...Kris
[Yes, $200 is twice what Rick was looking for, but $0.18/baud, new in
 the box, ain't bad.]
--
Kristopher Stephens, | (408-746-6047) |          {whatever}!amdahl!krs
Amdahl Corporation   |                |    -or-  krs@amdahl.amdahl.com

markp@valid.UUCP (03/11/87)

> 	I goofed...
> 	The message I posted for a friend requesting a 1200 baud
> 	modem must have a RS-232-C interface to be hooked up to
> 	a standard terminal.
> 	He wanted Hayes compatability. Bells and whistles are nice,
> 	but not absolutely necessary. (For < $100.00 ??)
> 	Is there one for less than $100.00, used or new???

Several months ago I bought a new Avatex 1200-baud modem for a total
cost of $82 (shipping included) from Black Patch Systems (1-800-ATARI-02).
It is a bare-bones model with absolutely zero frills, although one
with most of the Hayes command set is available for $20-30 more (as I
recall).  I have been quite happy with this modem, which I use with
a standard terminal at home.  It even came with some free time on
Compuserve (for what it's worth...).

	Mark Papamarcos
	Valid Logic
	{ihnp4,hplabs}!pesnta!valid!markp