[misc.wanted] 1541 schematic

cbcscmst@cs1.UUCP (Michael Steven Temkin) (03/09/87)

(Here liney liney liney... Where is that line eater?!)

     I have need of a 1541 service-manual with schematic and test
procedures.  My problem is this: after the disk is on for a short
while (~15 minutes) it locks up while loading a program.  After the
LOAD-command the system responds with its "Searching for" messages and
then just sits there, with the drive still spinning.  I've replaced
the 12-volt regulator and the 74LS14 (hex-inverter) chip, with no luck.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
			Mike

dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (03/12/87)

In article <309@cs1.UUCP> cbcscmst@cs1.UUCP (Michael Steven Temkin) writes:
>     I have need of a 1541 service-manual with schematic and test
>procedures.  My problem is this: after the disk is on for a short
>while (~15 minutes) it locks up while loading a program.  After the
>LOAD-command the system responds with its "Searching for" messages and
>then just sits there, with the drive still spinning.  I've replaced
>the 12-volt regulator and the 74LS14 (hex-inverter) chip, with no luck.
>Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>			Mike

What a coincidence! I happen to have a repair manual sitting right
in front of me. It was just returned by a friend.

It is called "Commodore 1541 Troubleshooting & Repair Guide". It is
written by Michael G. Peltier, and is published by SAMS.

The book has schematics, flow charts, and lots of diagrams. It also
has allignment procedures (with & without an o'scope).

It also covers the old 1540 drives, as well as the 1542 drive (the 1541
with the "lever" door).

Cost is $20.00 and can be found at B. Daltons.

Good luck with getting it fixed!!!!!
                               Dave Lowrey

"So it goes, so it goes, so it goes, so it goes. But where it's
 going, nobody knows"   [Nick Lowe]
                                ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]