[misc.wanted] game regulator wanted

dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (04/02/87)

I've been trying to ftp to purdue in search of a games regulator but can't
seem to get there lately. We just put a new machine on campus and half its
hard core users are game players, it's getting to be time to do something
about it. I seem to remember something posted to mod.sources a long time
ago.

I'd like to find something that would control access to the games directory
by forking off a game at a users request if certain criteria are met like
loads, number of tty's in use, etc. If the system got busy while the person
were playing, it might send a 5 minute warning to the user before blowing him
out of the water, etc. I mean if the box is idle I don't care, but when some
people want to do some work....

If you have something like the above at hand, feel free to mail it here.
Thanks in advance for whatever. If someone else who reads this is interested
I'll forward whatever I receive.

--
Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee
Internet: dave@csd1.milw.wisc.edu  Uucp: uwvax!uwmcsd1!dave    {o,o}

sue@sunybcs.UUCP (04/02/87)

In article <1936@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Dave Rasmussen) writes:
> I'd like to find something that would control access to the games directory
> by forking off a game at a users request if certain criteria are met like
> loads, number of tty's in use, etc. If the system got busy while the person
> were playing, it might send a 5 minute warning to the user before blowing him
> out of the water, etc. I mean if the box is idle I don't care, but when some
> people want to do some work....

We have just what you need running here.  We have a "gamesdo" program
which does exactly what you want.  Here are the features of our
gamesdo.

Gamesdo MUST be run in order to play the game.  All games are only
group executable for a special 'games' group.  Only very special
people are allowed in that group.  All others must use gamesdo.

There can be a "nogamers" list to prevent undesirable users from
playing any games, at any time, no matter what the load is.

The program itself will allow the user to play the requested game
if the load is under 3.00 when it is run.  Gamesdo will continually
check the 1 minute load average.  If that load goes above 3.00, the
user is given a warning.  Another minute later, the user is given
a second warning, if the load is still over 3.00.  If after that,
the user does not terminate the game, gamesdo will terminate it
(without saving it, that is up the the user).

If anyone is interested, please send mail to sunybcs!tim (please not
to me!).

--
Sue "almost LoVerso" Wroblewski
{bbncca, decvax, rocksanne}!sunybcs!sue

Bus error - n. synonym for Buffalo Rapid Transit System