[misc.wanted] Cheap wonderful UNIX boxes

campbell@maynard.UUCP (03/29/87)

A little while back I requested suggestions on a cheap wonderful UNIX
box.  Briefly, I wondered why there were $10,000 Sun workstations,
$3,000 PC/AT clones, and not much in between, for decent personal
UNIX computes.

Well, I've been flooded with responses, and the net result seems to be
that the box I want doesn't exist.  Hardware vendors -- there does seem
to be a market hole here.  Listen up!

    1)	Buy a 386.

	This was probably the most realistic suggestion received, but perhaps
	a bit premature at this point.  The IBM announcement is only five days
	away now, so I'll wait to see what they're going to do.

    2)	Buy any of several cheapo timesharing boxes.  These include machines
	from Altos, Convergent, Dual, Megadata, NCR, and Symmetric.  These
	are generally based on a National 32xxx or Motorola 680x0 chip,
	except the Altos boxes, which are Intel-based.  Unfortunately,
	these boxes are not workstations, they're baby timesharing systems.
	All you get is serial terminal ports, no graphics or windows.

    3)	Buy an AT&T 7300.  Much as I hate to say it, this box seems to fit
	my requirements better than anything else.  But I've heard nothing
	good about this machine, and apparently repair prices are outright
	robbery.  The machine has been such a failure on the market that
	you can get them *real* *cheap* now, but I'm wary of switching to
	yet another failed product (I'm using a DEC Rainbow right now!).

    4)	Buy a Mac II.  This sounds promising, except that the memory
	management chip required to run UNIX, and the UNIX port itself,
	are vaporware at this time.  Maybe in six months this will bear
	another look.

There were also some intriguing components, PC/AT add-in boards, and
kits that people mentioned.  Some sounded quite fast and cheap.  However,
I just want to get work done.  I don't want to waste a lot of time assembling
the system, debugging it, and hacking up device drivers.  The box I want
should be running troff for me no more than two hours after I unpack it.

It seems to be a tossup between a Compaq 386 and the AT&T 7300...  but
I just can't shake this queasy feeling about the AT&T box...
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.BSW.COM          120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

ron@vsedev.UUCP (03/29/87)

In article <885@maynard.BSW.COM> campbell@maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) writes:
>A little while back I requested suggestions on a cheap wonderful UNIX
>box.  Briefly, I wondered why there were $10,000 Sun workstations,
>$3,000 PC/AT clones, and not much in between, for decent personal
>UNIX computes.
>
>Well, I've been flooded with responses, and the net result seems to be
>that the box I want doesn't exist.  Hardware vendors -- there does seem
>to be a market hole here.  Listen up!

Isn't this just great! :-(  It seems that there really is an
astounding gap in the UNIX micro market.... What a shame!

I know there are plenty of engineers, including myself, that would like
to have the functional capability of say a Sun workstation, maybe
without *all* the bells and whistles, at a reasonable _personal_computer_
price.

I was in the same situation but finally decided to bite the bullet and
buy an AT clone on which I originally ran Xenix V, am now running
Microport UNIX V/AT, but would *really* like to run 4.xBSD UNIX.

Unfortunately I couldn't stretch my budget much beyond $7-8K.  I know
that if I had gone another $2K I could have bought a Sun, but how much
Sun would I really have gotten for $10K... not much I suspect.

I hope that with the introduction of 386 machines, some of the
software vendors will come up with a way to make these boxes into
real-unix-workstations, (eg, port X-windows, BSD sockets, maybe
4.3BSD UNIX itself, etc...).

Until such time I guess I will have to dream on..

--
ron@vsedev.VSE.COM	(Ron Flax)
UUCP:	..!seismo!vsedev!ron

mwm@eris.UUCP (03/29/87)

In article <499@vsedev.VSE.COM> ron@vsedev.UUCP (Ron Flax) writes:
>Isn't this just great! :-(  It seems that there really is an
>astounding gap in the UNIX micro market.... What a shame!
>
>I was in the same situation but finally decided to bite the bullet and
>buy an AT clone on which I originally ran Xenix V, am now running
>Microport UNIX V/AT, but would *really* like to run 4.xBSD UNIX.

Of course, if you're willing to run something that resembles Unix,
instead of _being_ Unix, there are a couple of 68K boxes around that
sell for < $5K, and have a workstation-like environment.

If you want them to use some specific Unix tool, you may need to spend
time investigating what's out there for them. Many Unix-like tools are
in the PD for these boxes; major packages that aren't tied to Unix
(TeX, for instance) may well exist on them already.

If you want to do code development, porting code to/from them will
have the same set of problems as porting code to/from different
Eunices: include files in the wrong places, non-v7 io primitives
aren't quite right, and terminal handling is broken. In addition,
anything that does multitasking will either have to be rewritten, or
won't be possible at all (which systems I wouldn't consider).

The Amiga is the box with the most visibility. It's also got the least
Unix-like of the OS's around. Beyond the stuff mentioned in the last
paragraph, it's also got a different file name structure. But it's a
hackers toy, and you can get _lots_ of PD software for it (yacc/lex,
assemblers, a smalltalk, a logo, xlisp, etc.).

Various boxes running OS/9 are possibilities. The cheapest is the RS
Color Computer, which doesn't beat the problems of the 6809 address
space, but does have a real windowing environment. Various vendors 68K
boards and systems (Hazelwood, Gimix, SSB, FHL, and probably others)
are probably worth investigating. The base systems start for a grand
or so (price varying depending on whether you've got a 68000, or aa
grand or(price varying depending on whether you've g 68020); I'm not
sure how much a "workstation-like" box would cost. I know that
MicroWare (the people who produce & market OS/9) did an X port, and
are working on TCP/IP.

There are probably others out there that are worth looking into; most
of them would probably be much better programming environments than a
cheap AT clone with SysV (hey, windows is a _BIG_ win, even if you
have to give up csh!). Unless you've already decided that anything not
running Unix is a lossage (does the word "prejudiced" come to mind?),
it's probably worth you're time to look into the 68K micro market.

	<mike
--
Here's a song about absolutely nothing.			Mike Meyer
It's not about me, not about anyone else,		ucbvax!mwm

howard@io.UUCP (03/30/87)

Why don't you list the AT&T 6300+? It's better than the 7300, PC
compatible, runs System V AND MS-DOS and is cheaper to repair than
the 7300. Also it is expandable which the 7300 is not. It fits your
price range too. A 2-meg system with a 40 meg hard drive, monochrome monitor
and software is under $6500 at discount stores.
Howard Moskovitz
AT&T Bell Labs @ Liberty Corner, NJ
!io!howard

brian@asci.UUCP (03/31/87)

writes:
>A little while back I requested suggestions on a cheap wonderful
>UNIX box.  Briefly, I wondered why there were $10,000 Sun workstations,
>$3,000 PC/AT clones, and not much in between, for decent personal UNIX
>computes....  Well, ...  the net result seems to be that the box I want
>doesn't exist.

Steven Jobs has been promising such a product to come from his new company
whose name escapes me.  Word has it that it is looking so promising that H.
Ross Perot (watch out G.M.) is now investing into it.  Price to be under
$3000.  But again, its all vaporware at the moment.  The race is on and
whoever get out first (and gets it right (listening IBM-RT?)) will win big.

Brian Douglass

Isaac_K_Rabinovitch@cup.portal.com.UUCP (03/31/87)

Larry Campbell's otherwise excellent summary of options for "cheap
wonderful Unix boxes" overlooks one small but significant point.  He rejects,
for his purposes, "baby timesharing systems" because they are "not
workstations". It seems to me that the two ideas are not mutually
exclusive, if the baby has high-speed communications capability.
Convergent 680x0 machines, for example, have an option for 1 megabaud RS-422.
(This is option is standard in older CT boxes.)  If one could find
the right inexpensive graphics terminal that will speak to the baby,
one has one's workstation.

Of course, I could be right in an absolute sense and quite wrong in a
practical sense:  for example, does all the necessary software for
such a configuration exist?

This is beside the point, but I have to get it in:  a 7300, which Campbell
*does* consider a workstation, is just a Convergent MiniFrame
with a built-in terminal and some AT&T comm hardware.

beilke@puff.UUCP (04/01/87)

In article <132@asci.UUCP>, brian@asci.UUCP (brian) writes:
> In article <885@maynard.BSW.COM> campbell@maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell)
> writes:
> >A little while back I requested suggestions on a cheap wonderful
> >UNIX box.  Briefly, I wondered why there were $10,000 Sun workstations,
> >$3,000 PC/AT clones, and not much in between, for decent personal UNIX
> >computes....  Well, ...  the net result seems to be that the box I want
> >doesn't exist.
>
> Steven Jobs has been promising such a product to come from his new company
> whose name escapes me.  Word has it that it is looking so promising that H.

   The name of Steve's new company is NEXT.  I guess he thinks he's

stumbled on to the _next_ generation of computers.

             -         -  - ---> Matt Beilke <--- -  -       -
|      //       ARPA: beilke@puff.wisc.edu                                   |
|     //        CSNET: beilke%puff.wisc.edu@csnet-relay                      |
| \\ // AMIGA   UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,seismo,topaz,etc.}!uwvax!puff!beilke |
|  \//  RULES!! SNAIL: 451 Witte B, Madison, WI, 53706, USA                  |

jtr485@umich.UUCP (04/04/87)

In article <601@puff.WISC.EDU>, beilke@puff.UUCP writes:
>    The name of Steve's new company is NEXT.  I guess he thinks he's
> stumbled on to the _next_ generation of computers.

No.  It's just Steve's Next Company.

>              -         -  - ---> Matt Beilke <--- -  -       -
--j.a.tainter

sprankle@kodak.UUCP (04/08/87)

For the person inquiring about cheap wonderful UNIX boxes:

Yesterday's Wall Street Journal states that Sun Microsystems has cut the
price of their 3/50M low-end workstation by 36%, to $4,995, targeting the
same markets as the new IBM Personal System/2s and Macintosh IIs.

I'm not sure what you get for your $5K; perhaps some Sun person in net land
could provide more information.  At least you get hardware and software that
have been in use, not vaporware :-).  In my mind, this is probably one of
the better "cheap wonderful UNIX boxes" around, though it's not as cheap
as an AT clone, it's built to run UNIX, not MS-DOS.

--drl
# ###### Daniel R. Lance    	      #######  Purdue University
# ####	 (working for, but not to be   ##   ## Electrical Engineering
# ##	 taken as speaking for,)       ######  "Illegitimati
# ####	 Eastman Kodak Company         ##           non
# ######                              ####      carborundum"
	"Tell us what you've seen/In far away forgotten lands
	Where empires have turned back to sand..."
					--Moody Blues
UUCP:     	...{ucbvax,inhp4,decvax,cbosgd}!pur-ee!lanced
	  	...{topaz,decvax,seismo,harvard}!rochester!kodak!sprankle
ARPA, BITNET:	lanced@ei.ecn.purdue.edu    sprankle@kodak.uucp
ICBM:     	43 01' 40" N, 77 37' 49" W

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (04/11/87)

Re: SUN3/50 selling for $4995

>I'm not sure what you get for your $5K; perhaps some Sun person in net land
>could provide more information.

MC68020 @ 15MHZ, 4MB, 19" 1152 X 900 Monochrome, 2 Serial ports, 1
Ethernet port, SCSI Port and built in controller, Sun Single User
Binary License (4.2 Superset, includes things like NFS, 4.3
performance enhancements, SunWindows (also can run X), C, Pascal,
Fortran, SunCore, SunCGI etc etc etc.)

Ok guys, this is professional quality stuff. Now for my question:

	Does anyone know any inexpensive, even slowish, disks that
	can be hooked up to the SUN3/50 SCSI port?

	Off-the-cuff Requirements (try me!):

	1. Probably at least 100MB.

	2. By slowish (this isn't PC world) I mean, say, 35msec
           or thereabouts.

	3. Nice if there were a tape option, even a mediocre one
	   for occasional backups (I could UUCP incrementals.)

	4. Price: Well, Sun's 141MB costs us $4830, half that
	   would be worth considering. The 71MB is probably a
	   little small for me, almost...

Note: Sun's disk options are fine and much better than I need at home,
I'd be happy with a little less for personal use.

Please, I'd like to hear from users, not "well the foo has a SCSI
interface so it *should* work", I know, but I don't have time to
tinker around (well, I'd write a driver if need be, but I don't want
to be a hardware guinea pig for this usage.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

mcvoy@uwvax.UUCP (04/13/87)

In article <6402@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
>Re: SUN3/50 selling for $4995
>
>MC68020 @ 15MHZ, 4MB, 19" 1152 X 900 Monochrome, 2 Serial ports, 1
>Ethernet port, SCSI Port and built in controller, Sun Single User

Macs have SCSI ports, so we're in luck.  I found only one prcie, though I'll
look some more.  What I found is $1200 for 40 meg.  Sorry, but I know that
up 370M drives exist for the MAC, I don't have a price, though.

The thing that I'd look at is a bernoulli box with a hard drive.  They sell
things that have 80meg hard drives with one 20 meg floppy ($50/floppy).
If you could get that in a 160Meg version, heaven....  Spool sources forever.
Don't dismiss those floppies - I've worked with no hard drive, just using
them.  Access and transfer time is good (access is about 40millaseconds if
it's spinning, you write a ping process to keep it spinning).
--
Larry McVoy 	        mcvoy@rsch.wisc.edu  or  uwvax!mcvoy

"It's a joke, son! I say, I say, a Joke!!"  --Foghorn Leghorn

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (04/14/87)

Sun make some great hardware, and a full release of UNIX to boot (pun
?), and all this for $5k.  Sounds great right?

Remember  Sun runs their hardware fast and hot (near the limit? I don't
know).  But like a LOTUS Esprit, running fast and hot means a bit less
reliable and VERY costly to repair.  I'm not saying Sun systems are
unreliable, far from it.  I'm just saying that as a personal UNIX box
the cost of repairing a 3/50 motherboard can be very expensive.
Remember EVERYTHING is on one board.  To my employer it may be pocket
change.  To me it may be 3 weeks GROSS pay!!!  And I can't take it down
to the local Radio Shack to have it repaired....... 8^)

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {seismo,allegra}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company

jensen@utgpu.UUCP (04/14/87)

Yes the system comes complete with 4 MB of Ram, UNIX 4.2BSD and 19" monitor
looks like the best deal around.

richard@islenet.UUCP (04/14/87)

In article <6402@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:

> Re: SUN3/50 selling for $4995

Perhaps I dreamed it, but I seem to recall a recent bit in a trade
rag about the prices on the 3/50 being lowered by 36%

Was I dreaming?

--
Richard Foulk		...{dual,vortex,ihnp4}!islenet!richard
Honolulu, Hawaii	or ...!islenet!bigtuna!richard

rkh@mtune.UUCP (04/16/87)

In article <3449@rsch.WISC.EDU> mcvoy@rsch.WISC.EDU (Larry McVoy) writes:
>In article <6402@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
>>Re: SUN3/50 selling for $4995
>>
>>MC68020 @ 15MHZ, 4MB, 19" 1152 X 900 Monochrome, 2 Serial ports, 1
>>Ethernet port, SCSI Port and built in controller, Sun Single User
>
>Macs have SCSI ports, so we're in luck.  I found only one prcie, though I'll
>look some more.  What I found is $1200 for 40 meg.  Sorry, but I know that
>up 370M drives exist for the MAC, I don't have a price, though.

Jasmine Computer Systems offers a 40 Mb drive for $999, and an 80 Mb, using the
half-height Quantum Q280 with 30 ms access, for $1380.  Address/phone from
the MacWorld ad are: 555 De Haro St, San Francisco CA 94107 (415)621-4339.

I have no connection with this place; just interested in seeing how cheaply
a Sun could be configured.

					Bob Halloran, Consultant, ATT ISL
UUCP: rutgers!mtune!rkh				DDD: (201)251-7514 eve ET
Internet: rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: 19 Culver Ct, Old Bridge NJ 08857
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization,          it expects what never was and never will be." -- Thomas Jefferson

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) (04/16/87)

In article <3223@islenet.UUCP> richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:
>Perhaps I dreamed it, but I seem to recall a recent bit in a trade
>rag about the prices on the 3/50 being lowered by 36%
>
>Was I dreaming?

No.  But the price was lowered by 36% TO $4995 (it was higher).  It's
not (not yet anyway) going to be lowered 36% more.
--
- Joe Buck    {hplabs,ihnp4,sun,ames}!oliveb!epimass!jbuck
	      seismo!epiwrl!epimass!jbuck  {pesnta,tymix,apple}!epimass!jbuck

tommy@ssds.UUCP (Tommy Phillips) (04/18/87)

In article <3223@islenet.UUCP> richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:
>> Re: SUN3/50 selling for $4995
>Perhaps I dreamed it, but I seem to recall a recent bit in a trade
>rag about the prices on the 3/50 being lowered by 36%
>Was I dreaming?
the $5000 reflects the 30-odd % reduction.  they were $8000

--
Tommy Phillips
{hao,nbires}!isis!ssds!tommy

tomk@sunlamp.UUCP (Tom Kessler) (04/20/87)

> >rag about the prices on the 3/50 being lowered by 36%
> >Was I dreaming?
> the $5000 reflects the 30-odd % reduction.  they were $8000

Yes the list price really is $4995 discounts apply on top of that.
--

Tom Kessler
Sun Consulting, Rochester NY.

tts@agaton.lu.se (Teletrafiksystem) (04/20/87)

In article <6402@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:

>	Does anyone know any inexpensive, even slowish, disks that
>	can be hooked up to the SUN3/50 SCSI port?
>
>	Off-the-cuff Requirements (try me!):
>
>	1. Probably at least 100MB.
>
>	2. By slowish (this isn't PC world) I mean, say, 35msec
>           or thereabouts.
>
>	3. Nice if there were a tape option, even a mediocre one
>	   for occasional backups (I could UUCP incrementals.)
>
>	4. Price: Well, Sun's 141MB costs us $4830, half that
>	   would be worth considering. The 71MB is probably a
>	   little small for me, almost...

We have the following experience of using (non SUN) SCSI-disks on SUN 3/50:

Using a preformatted Micropolis 1375 (5 1/4"-disk, 170 Mbyte unformatted,
23 ms):
   - The disk was labeled and set up using standard "diag" program

   - Then it was just to mount it on the system and run it as a local disk.

   - We also removed the SUN 3/50 from the fileserver and booted it from tape
     (Archive 5945S, also SCSI) and built a unix-system on the Micropolis. It
     worked out perfect. We also used the 3/50 as bootserver and fileserver
     for another 3/50. It worked OK, however the disk is a bit to small
     for this purpose. (With a bigger disk  it seems to be a cheep way to
     run 3/50(s) without a special fileserver.)

   - We have NOT tried to reformat the disk, due to our experiense with the
     Maxtor disk (see below).

 Using a Maxtor 3170 (5 1/4", 170 Mbyte unformatted, 30 ms):
    - We were not able to format the disk. The diag-program and the disk
      seems to have different opinions on format commands. However we could
      get contact with the disk. Any hints, pointers or programs to solve
      the problem are welcome.

A 170 or 350 Mbyte disk plus a streamer tape station (all on SCSI) and
powersupply built in in a box have (in Sweden) approx one third of the
price from SUN.

The performance (on a low-loaded 3/50 with SCSI-disk) was approx the same as
using a SUN 180 as fileserver. We have not performed any deeper test-suites
to measure accesstime at heavy load or with a 3/50 as fileserver.

Please note the problem with using the diag-program to format the disk,
anyone out there that can help us with that?

Richard Niklasson, Dept of Communication Systems, Lund Institute of Technology,
SWEDEN

UUCP:  rn@erlang.sunet.se
or     ...!mcvax!enea!agaton!erlang!rn

BITNET: erlangrn@seldc51