[misc.wanted] Cheap computer for kids wanted

YZKCU@CUNYVM.BITNET (Yaakov Kayman) (07/07/87)

following items, as a minimum:

                       Computer (not home-assembled, and
                                 capable of 80 character display)
                       RGB monitor with sound (preferably color)
                       printer capable of at least 80 character line
                       disk drive of some sort
                       operating system

                       Monitor and printer to be AT(/clone)-compatible

    I am not looking to spend more than $500 (max) for any used system,
unless it is truly outstanding (show me). I will pick up/pay shipping.

    I will want satisfaction that the system works via some sort of
verification demo, or if geography doesn't permit that, via a reasonable
owner warranty period, within which I may get a full refund.

    If some vendor or other company services/can service the system,
please give me their particulars, including prices.

    I am looking to buy a system, new (from a dealer) or used, *THIS WEEK*.
Replies A.S.A.P., please.
                                 Yaakov Kayman

-------
Yaakov Kayman                           City University of New York
(212) 903-3666                          YZKCU@CUNYVM.BITNET

"Take it easy, but take it"

lipkin@mcnc.UUCP (Lori A. Lipkin) (07/22/87)

In article <575YZKCU@CUNYVM>, YZKCU@CUNYVM.BITNET (Yaakov Kayman) writes:
>WANTED:
>                        Computer (not home-assembled, and
>                                  capable of 80 character display)
>                        RGB monitor with sound (preferably color)
>                        printer capable of at least 80 character line
>                        disk drive of some sort
>                        operating system
>
>                        Monitor and printer to be AT(/clone)-compatible

I have an Apple II+ for sale.  It inludes 1 disk drive, monochrome monitor, Z80
card, Multifunction card, and an Okidata 82 printer.  I also have several
hundreds of dollars worth of programs that come with the machine.

The printer and monitor are compatible.

I am wanting to get about $450-$500 for the system.  (We have well over $1000
in it.)

In my opinion, the Apple II's are the perfect computers for kids.  I have a lot
of programming aids to make learning to program less painful, and I also have
scads of utilities programs, not to mention games.  The Apple II+ is an
exceptionally good deal.  It doesn't have the raw power behind it that the
Apple IIe does, and so it therefore is very low priced, but it can do anything
one wants, it just may be a little slow at times.  It is, in my opinion, the
best thing to learn to program on.  I have Basic, Fortran, Pascal and an
Assembler for it.  Apple Basic, unlike IBM Basic is easy to work with, and can
be learned in 1-4 afternoons, depending on how fast you catch on.

I am selling my Apple II+ because I have recently gone over to the MacIntosh,
not because there is anything wrong with the machine itself.

If you are better with the email system than I am, I would prefer you email
me directly, as to whether you're interested or not.  (I haven't figured out
how to email out of my company yet.)  Thank You!

Lori Lipkin