[misc.wanted] Social forecasting and polling

eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene Miya N.) (10/01/87)

In article <464@naucse.UUCP> wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) writes:

>I am looking for social forecasting programs.  If you are
>aware of any please leave me a note or send me info on
>Bitnet to UCC2WEW@NAUVM.

Things brings up something I have thought about for some time.

We read about unscientific sampling all the time.  We have one of the
more remarkable interactive communication systems of time (still
developing).  Interactive TV and Picturephones did not succeed, but what
about making effective polling mechanism in news software?

The people who read the net are not a representative cross-section of
society, but it would be an interesting observatory study.  We can do
the whole bit like Field, Neilson (sp.), Skelly, etc. with weighting, etc.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."
  {hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene