[misc.wanted] TCP/IP or SOCKETS on cheap UNIX boxes?

kak@stc-auts.UUCP (Kris Kugel) (11/11/87)

We have an ethernet application we are converting to run using
sockets and TCP/IP running on a BSD 2.10 system.  The PDP-11
systems we are running part of the software on are getting old,
and we would like to replace them with something cheaper.  At
their recent sale price, 3B1's would be a good system (assuming
we can handle the TCP/IP conversion and lack of select call)
Most of the software was originally produced for a version 7 unix,
and so should be pretty portable to most other flavors.
Some of the PC-based unix's might be worth looking into, if we
knew more about them.

So, I am looking for suggestions on
--->cheap UNIX boxes that can somehow talk TCP/IP.

Any suggestions?
	Kris A. Kugel
	Storage Tek:    ...{ihnp4,hao,nbires,boulder}!stcvax!stc-auts!kak

archer@elysium.SGI.COM (Archer Sully) (11/16/87)

In article <228@stc-auts.UUCP>, kak@stc-auts.UUCP (Kris Kugel) writes:

> So, I am looking for suggestions on
> --->cheap UNIX boxes that can somehow talk TCP/IP.
>
> Any suggestions?
> 	Kris A. Kugel
> 	Storage Tek:    ...{ihnp4,hao,nbires,boulder}!stcvax!stc-auts!kak

Last I heard Microport had integrated Exelan's EXOS code into their
product.  Its 4.1c based, not 4.3 however, so you'll probably have
some problems.  I don't believe that they support select(2), and
the rest of the library ain't much better, but at least it is TCP/IP,
and it definitely is cheap.

Archer Sully
archer@sgi.com
{ucbvax,decwrl,ames}!sgi!archer