[net.sf-lovers] The worst sf movies ever made

@RUTGERS.ARPA:boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (02/01/85)

From: boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Jerry Boyajian)

I'm not sure that I can decide what is *the* worst sf film
ever made --- there are so many of them after all. However
a list of nominees from me would include:

all of the NEUTRON or AZTEC MUMMY films
ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS
ATTACK OF THE MUSHROOM PEOPLE
CREATURE OF DESTRUCTION <an even worse remake of an already
	terrible film, THE SHE CREATURE>
FRANKENSTEIN VS. THE SPACE MONSTER
HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP
MARS NEEDS WOMEN
MISSION STARDUST <the infamous Perry Rhodan movie>
PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE
TREASURE OF THE FOUR CROWNS
ZONTAR, THE THING FROM VENUS <an even worse remake of an
	already terrible film, IT CONQUERED THE WORLD>

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

okie@ihuxi.UUCP (B.K. Cobb) (02/01/85)

Lest we forget...

	"Canadian Mounties versus Atomic Monsters"
	"The Brain Eaters"

...should also be on this list.

B.K.Cobb
ihnp4!ihuxi!okie

aar@homxa.UUCP (A.RAPPE) (02/01/85)

You forgot:

IT CONQUERED THE WORLD
THE FLESH EATERS
DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS
ETC....ETC...

ps: I thought CRAB MONSTERS was very "gripping"(Martha...help me...meet me by
the pit...snip snip..)

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (02/02/85)

In article <470@topaz.ARPA> boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
(Jerry Boyajian) writes:

>I'm not sure that I can decide what is *the* worst sf film
>ever made --- there are so many of them after all. However
>a list of nominees from me would include:

<Here follows an impressive list of garbage...>

How about TEENAGERS FROM OUTER SPACE, and their wonderful 'pets' the
Gargons?  Really, now, 200 foot long crayfish???

--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

mccann@sjuvax.UUCP (mccann) (02/06/85)

How can you call Day of the Triffids a bad Sci-fi movie? I thought it was quite
good and it is certainly far above the likes of Mars needs women, etc.
M. McCann

walker@unc.UUCP (Douglas Walker) (02/08/85)

<clever comment about the line-eater>

    There are at least three versions of Day of the Triffids that I have
heard of.  Two are relatively recent - late 70's - and the other is much
older.  I saw the original one, and I thought it stunk.  The acting was
terrible, the plot was abominable, and the 'special' effects were
unmentionable.  I haven't seen the newer releases, but with that plot,
there's only so far they can go.

leeper@ahuta.UUCP (m.leeper) (02/14/85)

REFERENCES:  <470@topaz.ARPA> <683@homxa.UUCP> <sjuvax.813>, <24@unc.UUCP>

 >There are at least three versions of Day of the Triffids
 >that I have heard of.  Two are relatively recent - late 70's
 >- and the other is much older.  I saw the original one, and
 >I thought it stunk.  The acting was  terrible, the plot was
 >abominable, and the 'special' effects were unmentionable.  I
 >haven't seen the newer releases, but with that plot, there's
 >only so far they can go.

The 1981 BBC adaptation shows up on the Arts and Entertainment cable
channel.  It follows the novel page for page.  It is intelligent and
well made.  Since the novel is not really about monsters but about how
societies function, it is well worth seeing.  A friend who is a
post-holocaust story enthusiast says that it is the best post-holocaust
dramatic presentation he has ever seen.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!ahuta!leeper