[net.sf-lovers] The Tunnel

faigin@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/04/85)

In article <345@lsuc.UUCP> msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) writes:

>Last weekend I saw the 1935 movie The Tunnel, also titled The Transatlantic
>Tunnel.
>
>Like... you're digging a tunnel, depicted as about 30-40 feet in diameter,
>from London to New York.

Does anyone know if this movie is related in any way, shape, or
form to the Harry Harrison book,
		"A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!"

--

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
"Bringing Computers into the home	"When a professor insists that

Daniel P. Faigin, University of California at Los Angeles
UUCP: {cepu|ihnp4|trwspp|ucbvax}!ucla-cs!faigin  ARPA: faigin@UCLA-CS.ARPA
USPS (Home): 11743 Darlington Avenue #9/Los Angeles CA 90049
AT&T (Home): (213) 826-3357

ran@ho95b.UUCP (RANeinast) (02/04/85)

>Last weekend I saw the 1935 movie The Tunnel, also titled The Transatlantic
>Tunnel.  (It's a British remake of a 1933 German movie.  All prints of it
>were believed lost.)  For a 1930's sf movie, it wasn't that bad -- but there
>were some nice howlers.

>Like... you're digging a tunnel, depicted as about 30-40 feet in diameter,
>from London to New York.

>                          Even if the rock has
>only 2.5 times the density of water, that's ONE BILLION metric TONS of spoil
>(some miles below sea level, too) that you have to dispose of... this was
>simply ignored!

> Mark Brader

And just think of their surprise when they tunnel through the
Mid-Atlantic Ridge!  Ever tried tunneling through an *active* volcano?

--

". . . and shun the frumious Bandersnatch."
Robert Neinast (ihnp4!ho95c!ran)

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (02/07/85)

Me:

ran@ho95b.UUCP (RANeinast):

> And just think of their surprise when they tunnel through the
> Mid-Atlantic Ridge!  Ever tried tunneling through an *active* volcano?

As a matter of fact, this is exactly what happens!

The British tunneling crew encounters a region of extreme heat, and
they figure it's probably a volcano, but they go ahead anyway.  Disaster
does not strike, and minutes later*, they emerge into safer temperatures
and immediately break through and link up with the American crew!

  *when you're digging a transatlantic tunnel, you have to drill fast...

So even though the authors* couldn't've known about the Mid-Atlantic
Ridge, they not only put in a volcano, but in the right place!

  *Screenplay by Kurt Siodmak --both the German and the English movies--
   from a 1913 German novel by B. Kellermann.

Mark Brader

@RUTGERS.ARPA:Purtill.StudentNS@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA (02/10/85)

From: Mark Purtill <Purtill@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>

If /The Tunnel/ was made in 1935, it has no relation to Harry Harrison's
/A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah/, (aka /Tunnel thru the Depths/ or
something like that), since that was written much later.  I have the
original magazine version and while I don't remember the exact year, it
was in /Analog/ (not /Astonishing/), so its some time since the name
change.  At a guess, maybe the early seventies?

Mark

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (02/14/85)

Daniel P Faigin (ucla-cs!faigin) quotes me:
> >Last weekend I saw the 1935 movie The Tunnel, also titled The Transatlantic
> >Tunnel.  ...

And asks:
> Does anyone know if this movie is related in any way, shape, or
> form to the Harry Harrison book,
> 		"A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!"

Yes, I do.  No, it isn't.

Harrison's book (which also has an alternate title, "Tunnel Through the
Deeps" ("Deep"?)) was written in about 1965 or 1970, and is set about an
alternate history where the US did not leave the British Empire.

On the other hand, the movie in question is based on a 1913 book in German
by B. Kellermann and is set in the ordinary future.  (In the movie, the
Channel Tunnel had been opened in 1940, and the scene was sometime later.)

For those who missed the original article: the movie is interesting
mainly as a curiosity; all prints were thought lost, so it's rare.

Mark Brader