[net.sf-lovers] Followup to a number of articles

leeper@ahuta.UUCP (leeper) (02/14/85)

 >From: victoro%Nosc@crash.ARPA Subject: Pointers please?
 >
 >From: <bang!crash!victoro@Nosc>
 >
 >I am looking for stories dealing with racial memory or group
 >minds.

Racial memory AND (to some extent) group minds are treated in the sf
film QUATERMASS AND THE PIT (FIVE MILLION YEARS TO EARTH).  For group
minds, the best piece is MIDWICH CUCKOOS by John Wyndham (made into the
movie VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED).  Also see MORE THAN HUMAN by Theodore
Sturgeon.

 >From edb@akgua.UUCP (E.D.  Brooks [Emily]) Wed Dec 31
 >19:00:00 1969 Subject: A Short Story Re-Discovered
 >(Finally!)
 >
 >Many moons ago I requested help from this newsgroup in
 >re-discovering the title, author, and anthology of a short
 >story I had read when much younger (approx.  15 years ago).
 >Imagine my disappointment when I  received exactly ZERO
 >replies!  No one remembered my story!  (So much for advance
 >thanks!  :-)) But, I have found it!  It has been re-released
 >in a *new* collection of short stories by Poul Anderson (I
 >might have known he was the author) entitled "Dialogue with
 >Darkness".  The particular story I was looking for is titled
 >"Sister Planet" and still retains the haunting anguish I
 >remembered so well.  This collection credits "Satellite",
 >May, 1959 which is apparently a magazine.  I did NOT first
 >read this in any magazine (certainly not in 1959!  I hadn't
 >learned to read then) and will probably never know what
 >anthology I saw it in.

Could it have been one of the following??

ALL ABOUT VENUS ed. by Brain Aldiss
FAREWELL FANTASTIC VENUS ed. by Aldiss & Harry Harrison
GET OUT OF MY SKY ed. by Leo Margulies

My source (Contento's Index) says it was in all three.

 >From: herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS])
 >Subject: Re: worst SF movie ever

 >>My room-mate nominates "Battle Beyond the Stars".  I have
 >>not seen this movie  but he said that its only redeeming
 >>factor is a female character who has  quite large breasts.
 >Any comments??
 >
 >i have watched this one several times.  the people i
 >remember being in the show are Richard Thomas and Robert
 >Vaughn.

Also George Peppard as the cowboy.

 >the heavy is someone i recognise who normally plays
 >such roles, but his name escapes me.

John Saxon

 >i was always under the
 >impression that the movie was made a another spoof, albeit a
 >rather high budget spoof.  the special effects are very good
 >(i've seen better, but only a few times).  the plot is
 >straight out of the space westerns or starwars.

The plot is based on SEVEN SAMURAI and its American remake MAGNIFICENT
SEVEN.  It isn't great, but it is a lot of fun.  It has a good score by
James Horner.  The script is by John Sayles who directed RETURN OF THE
SECAUCUS SEVEN, a much respected film.