[net.sf-lovers] Obie

@RUTGERS.ARPA:SRA@MIT-XX.ARPA (02/13/85)

From: Rob Austein <SRA@MIT-XX.ARPA>

Anybody know the origin of the name "Obie" in Jack Chalker's Well
World books?  He (Obie) claims at one point "My name is actually an
acronym but the words are so out of date that they have lost their
meaning."  Ideas, anybody?
-------

gjerawlins@watdaisy.UUCP (Gregory J.E. Rawlins) (02/14/85)

In article <603@topaz.ARPA> @RUTGERS.ARPA:SRA@MIT-XX.ARPA writes:
>From: Rob Austein <SRA@MIT-XX.ARPA>
>
>Anybody know the origin of the name "Obie" in Jack Chalker's Well
>World books?  He (Obie) claims at one point "My name is actually an
>acronym but the words are so out of date that they have lost their
>meaning."  Ideas, anybody?
>-------

....I don't know the book in question but the only acronym I
could think of to fit "Obie" is "O.B.E." - Order of the British
Empire.			greg.

--
Gregory Rawlins CS Dept.,U.Waterloo,Waterloo,Ont.N2L3G1 (519)884-3852
gjerawlins%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet                              CSNET