[misc.wanted] looking for Session Control sequences for DEC VT3xx

srl@buengc.BU.EDU (Sam Lipson) (12/31/87)

	I'm trying to write a Unix csh equivalent to the VMS Session Control
software.  I need the proper sequences for session control on a VT3xx.
(This is for the case of two sessions multiplexed on one wire.)

Note:  The "switch sessions" control sequence is documented in the manual,
what I can't locate is documentation on what the terminal sends when you
select "enable sessions" on the set-up menu,  and what the correct reply
from the host is.  I also need to know what the terminal sends when the
user pushes the switch session key.

	Thanks,

	Sam Lipson

	Internet:  srl%buengc@bostonu.csnet
	Usenet:  harvard!bucs!buengc!srl

leichter@yale.UUCP (Jerry Leichter) (01/06/88)

Session management on VT300 series terminals is controlled by a protocol
named TD/SMP.  TD/SMP is proprietary  to Digital and not currently documented.
Also, be aware that a patent on it has been applied for.

							-- Jerry

msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (01/11/88)

In article <252@buengc.BU.EDU> srl@buengc.BU.EDU (Sam Lipson) writes:

>	I'm trying to write a Unix csh equivalent to the VMS Session Control
>software.  I need the proper sequences for session control on a VT3xx.
>(This is for the case of two sessions multiplexed on one wire.)
>
>Note:  The "switch sessions" control sequence is documented in the manual,
>what I can't locate is documentation on what the terminal sends when you
>select "enable sessions" on the set-up menu,  and what the correct reply
>from the host is.  I also need to know what the terminal sends when the
>user pushes the switch session key.
>
>	Thanks,
>
>	Sam Lipson

	The protocol used for session management is not the same level of
protocol for ANSI sequences.  There is absolutely no way of affecting the
session manager from a specific session.  Also, the protocol used by DEC
is patented and cannot be given away.

	There is however a program called SSU that is sold by Digital
Equipment Corporation that will let you do multiple sessions on Ultrix.