[misc.wanted] Wanted: 1024x1024x8 graphics for PC

wcs@ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart) (12/23/87)

I'm looking for a high-resolution graphics board for a PC.
I need at least 1024x1024 pixels (1280 would be much better),
and at least 8 bitplanes (again, more is better).

I'm planning to use it on an AT&T 6386, which has a PC-bus and AT-bus,
running UNIX and X-windows.

What's out there?  Bell Technologies makes a nice board, but the color
version only does 1024x768.
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (12/23/87)

In article <1936@ho95e.ATT.COM>, wcs@ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart) writes:
> I'm looking for a high-resolution graphics board for a PC.
> I need at least 1024x1024 pixels (1280 would be much better),
> and at least 8 bitplanes (again, more is better).
>
> I'm planning to use it on an AT&T 6386, which has a PC-bus and AT-bus,
> running UNIX and X-windows.

		Me too me too me too me too!   I have an identical setup
	to the one described above, and I need an identical board and/or
	monitor.  Thanks.

stephen@tolerant.UUCP (Yeung) (12/25/87)

in article <429@picuxa.UUCP>, gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) says:
> In article <1936@ho95e.ATT.COM>, wcs@ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart) writes:
>> I'm looking for a high-resolution graphics board for a PC.
>> I need at least 1024x1024 pixels (1280 would be much better),
>> and at least 8 bitplanes (again, more is better).
>>
>> I'm planning to use it on an AT&T 6386, which has a PC-bus and AT-bus,
>> running UNIX and X-windows.
>
> 		Me too me too me too me too!   I have an identical setup
> 	to the one described above, and I need an identical board and/or
> 	monitor.  Thanks.

    Everex has a new board called UltraGraphics coming out (Model EV-235).
    I don't know whether this board will fit your need or not; but the
    followings are what Everex advertised:

    Big Screen ASIC
	View the "Big Picture" on a 150 dpi large screen monitor in
	1664x1200 resolution using PC/XT/AT and compatible machines.
	The Ultragraphics, with an onboard Everex ASIC, controls
	Princeton LM301 and the Moniterm 19 inch monitor, ideal for
	Desktop Publishing.

    Compatible With Others
	Ultragraphics co-exsits with PGA, EGA, CGA, MDA, and Hercules
	graphics adapters for multiple screen display capability.  The
	board contains its own video BIOS, making it a stand-alone card
	and fully compatible at the BIOS level.

    Turbo Features
	The Everex Ultragraphics beats other adapters in speed by 4:1.
	Instead of a single byte transfer in others, the Ultragraphics
	transfers 4 bytes at a time to update screen changes at 4 times
	the normal rate in 1664x1200 resolution.  Additional features
	include a 12.5ms screen clear, or fill-with-ones for reverse
	video, and fast scrolling that won't keep you waiting.

    Bank Switched
	The display is enhanced by 512KB onboard memory.  The memory is
	bank switched through a 16KB window in reserved memory.  The
	window is intelligently placed by Ultragraphic's own BIOS so
	that it will not conflict with other address specific installed
	hardware drivers.

    WYSIWYG Clarity
	You can now achieve WYSIWYG clarity with 150 dpi monitors.
	Drivers for Microsoft Windows and AutoCAD are also included
	for extra convenience.

    Any one interested could email me and I'll find out more (e.g. price).

						Stephen Au-Yeung
						pyramid!tolerant!stephen

srinivas@ut-sally.UUCP (Srini Sankaran) (12/28/87)

In article <1057@tolerant.UUCP> stephen@tolerant.UUCP (Yeung) writes:
>    Everex has a new board called UltraGraphics coming out (Model EV-235).

Call Texas Instruments and ask them to mail you a copy of "TMS 34010 -
Third Party Guide". You can find about five to ten boards which match your
requirements.
-srini.
srinivas@sally.utexas.edu

rusty@cadnetix.UUCP (Rusty) (12/30/87)

In article <9965@ut-sally.UUCP> srinivas@ut-sally.UUCP (Srini Sankaran) writes:

>> In article <1936@ho95e.ATT.COM>, wcs@ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart) writes:
>> I'm looking for a high-resolution graphics board for a PC.
>Call Texas Instruments ... "TMS 34010 -
>Third Party Guide".
Also check out the Jan-Feb 1988 Micro Cornucopia magazine (issue #39)
'Designing a PC workstation board around the TMS34010' by pres. of
PC Tech, P.O. Box 128, Lake City MN.  They make a hires board, and the article
gives some info about theirs and others
in general
--
  Rusty Carruth          UUCP: cadnetix!rusty	       Disclaimer: oops, out
  Cadnetix Corporation	       hao!ico!cadnetix!rusty	           of room!

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (01/07/88)

AT&T Indianapolis counterpart makes a spectacular video board called
Vista.  It offers 1024x1024 graphics with an enormous number of colors
that can be displayed on screen.  I think that it can handle 2Kx2K in more
than eight colors.  It is a 32 bit graphic board, has a very powerful
(and expensive) TIPS program that does it proud, and can accept video
sources from many sources, including video cameras and recorders.

If you would like more information, it is reviewed in PC Magazine's BEST OF
'87 issue (December ?).

Michael Niehaus
UUCP: <Backbones>!{uunet,pur-ee,iuvax}!bsu-cs!mithomas

tim@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Timothy L. Kay) (01/08/88)

In article mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>AT&T Indianapolis counterpart makes a spectacular video board called
>Vista.  It offers 1024x1024 graphics with an enormous number of colors
>that can be displayed on screen.  I think that it can handle 2Kx2K in more
>than eight colors.  It is a 32 bit graphic board, has a very powerful
>(and expensive) TIPS program that does it proud, and can accept video
>sources from many sources, including video cameras and recorders.

With regard to "an enormous number of colors", this board is known
as a full-color frame buffer.  It offers eight bits per pixel per
gun (red, green, and blue).  People who do serious computer graphics
(such as TV production houses) can't use any fewer colors.  You can
put a different color on each pixel on the screen.  You need them
when you want to antialias.

A little more information on this board:

  o   It lists for $6000
  o   You'll need a monitor at least as good as the NEC
      Multisync to do this board justice.
  o   It generates video in non-standard resolutions, like
		756 x 486
	or	604 x 486
	or	504 x 486
      while the standard is either 640 x 48? or 768 x 48?.
  o   You can't take full advantage of any frame buffer that
      uses the TI TMS34010 graphics chip unless you also
      purchase the C Compiler/Assembler package from TI.
      It lists for $1500.  Of course, if you just want a
      canned paint program, then you don't need this.
  o   TIPS lists for $2500, I think

There are other boards that have similar or better features.  They
are also less expensive.

wallace@whutt.UUCP (WALLACE) (01/15/88)

In article <5110@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> tim@cit-vax.UUCP (Timothy L. Kay) writes:
>In article mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>>AT&T Indianapolis counterpart makes a spectacular video board called
>>Vista.  It offers 1024x1024 graphics with an enormous number of colors
>>that can be displayed on screen.  I think that it can handle 2Kx2K in more
>>than eight colors.  It is a 32 bit graphic board, has a very powerful
>>(and expensive) TIPS program that does it proud, and can accept video
>>sources from many sources, including video cameras and recorders.
>
>With regard to "an enormous number of colors", this board is known
>as a full-color frame buffer.  It offers eight bits per pixel per
>gun (red, green, and blue).  People who do serious computer graphics
>(such as TV production houses) can't use any fewer colors.  You can
>put a different color on each pixel on the screen.  You need them
>when you want to antialias.
>
>A little more information on this board:
>
>  o   It lists for $6000

I was able to get it for $5400.

>  o   You'll need a monitor at least as good as the NEC
>      Multisync to do this board justice.

After much research... Microvitec makes a 19" color monitor Model 1019/LPTV
(Long Persistence phosphor monitor tuned for Targa and Vista). Resolution is
1365x860 (max) and it has inputs for analog RGB and 4 or 6 bit TTL. Price
is around $2200. In fact, there's an outfit in Indianapolis called Electronic
Sales and Engineering that sells this exclusively for Microvitec (based in
Atlanta, GA), for Truevision board buyers.

>  o   It generates video in non-standard resolutions, like
>		756 x 486
>	or	604 x 486
>	or	504 x 486
>      while the standard is either 640 x 48? or 768 x 48?.

Wrong. You can set the video resolution to a variety of settings (software
selectable), including 640x486 and 768x486. It's very flexible.

>  o   You can't take full advantage of any frame buffer that
>      uses the TI TMS34010 graphics chip unless you also
>      purchase the C Compiler/Assembler package from TI.
>      It lists for $1500.  Of course, if you just want a
>      canned paint program, then you don't need this.

Wrong again. The complete TI TMS34010 software development kit, including
the C compiler, assembler, linker, etc. is included in the price. Within
the next month or so, all buyers past, present, and future, will receive
at no extra charge, an extensive C-callable library of VISTA utilities for
development.

>  o   TIPS lists for $2500, I think

Unless the VISTA version has just gone way up, TIPS should only cost $1295.

>There are other boards that have similar or better features.  They
>are also less expensive.

Ah maybe, but how many with this much memory, local power, and the able to
frame grab, genlock, and do all sort of fancy memory accessing and channeling
of data,...and even add up to a total of 10 Mb of local memory for image data
and 34010 code and data?

It really does apply here...you get what you pay for!

Fellow VISTA users keep in touch...I'm using mine on a AT&T 6310 and 6386.

Bruce A. Wallace
AT&T Bell Labs
Murray Hill, N.J.
ihnp4!whutt!wallace