@RUTGERS.ARPA:ZUBKOFF@TL-20B.ARPA (02/09/85)

From: "Leonard N. Zubkoff" <Zubkoff@TL-20B.ARPA>

"The Lady Who Sailed {\it The Soul}" can be found in "The Best of Cordwainer
Smith", Del Ray/Ballantine/27202 (1975).  This in turn points to an earlier
publication by Galaxy Magazine (copyright 1960).

Leonard N. Zubkoff
Zubkoff@Tartan.ARPA

@RUTGERS.ARPA,@MIT-MC:INGRIA@MIT-OZ (02/10/85)

From: INGRIA%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA

    Date: Wednesday, 6 February 1985  17:22-EST
    From: ttidcc!regard at topaz (Adrienne Regard)
    To:   SF-LOVERS at MIT-MC
    Re:   Help finding a title

    Can anyone remember a book of short stories, at least 20 years old,
    containing "The Lady Who Sailed the Soul"?  About a man who sailed a
    space ship powered by solar power, and aged 40 years in the transit.
    The ship carried people in suspended animation to a new planet light
    years away.  So, the guy who ran the ship aged 40 years while his
    passengers did not.  Anyway, he met this woman who fell in love with
    him, so she sailed on one of these ships back to the original
    destination so that they would be the same age, and this would
    overcome his scruples toward their relationship.  That's a pretty
    lousy explanation of a wonderfully romantic story, but I hope it
    sounds familiar?

The author was Cordwainer Smith.  The man was called ``Mr. Grey-no-more''
and the woman was called ``Helen America''.

    The lead story and the book title were the same and had something to
    do with drug expanded consciousness -- MindBender? MindBreaker?
    Something like that.  Any clues?  THANKS!!!!

Smith didn't have many collections out.  ``The Lady who Sailed the
Soul'' appears in one called @i[You Will Never Be the Same], copyright
1963.  The date and title fit your recollection, but there is no
Corwainer Smith short story titled ``You Will Never Be the Same'', in
this collection or elsewhere.  However, the same collection DOES
include ``No, No, not Rogov!'', about a Soviet Scientist who builds a
monitor which turns out to be able to see the future and which
presents him with a vision that shatters his mind; and ``The Burning
of the Brain''.  Either of them might be the story you're thinking of.
The collection also includes the classic ``Scanners Live in Vain'' and
``The Game of Rat and Dragon'', both of which have been anthologized
frequently.

This collection has been out of print for a long time, but it turns up
in used book sections from time to time.  Del Rey/Ballantine reissued
Smith's short stories in @i[The Best of Corwainer Smith] and @i[The
Instrumentality of Mankind] in 1975 and 1979.  I believe these two are
still in print, although I'm not sure.

-30-
Bob (``Flectere si nequere Superos/Acheronta movebo!'') Ingria

@RUTGERS.ARPA:hester@uci-icse (02/11/85)

From: Jim Hester <hester@uci-icse>

I can't help you on the collection/anthology you requested, but can
give you some other pointers to "The Lady who Sailed THE SOUL",
if you were looking for the story rather than the book.

It was written by Cordwainer Smith (in real life: Paul Myfron Anthony
Linebarger), and is my all-time favorite in the 'romance' SF class.
Much of Smith's stuff is worth reading.  He created a "future history of
mankind" that has some really interesting twists.

"The Lady.." has appeared in:

"Galaxy:  Thirty Years of Innovative Science Fiction"
edited by Frederik Pohl, Mat\rtin H. Greenberg, and Joseph D. Olander
Playboy Press, date unknown

"The Best of Cordwainer Smith"
edited by J. J. Pierce
Nelson Doubleday, Inc.  1975

@RUTGERS.ARPA,@MIT-MC:LS.SRB@MIT-EECS (02/13/85)

From: "Stephen R. Balzac" <LS.SRB%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA>

    Date: Wednesday, 6 February 1985  17:22-EST
    From: ttidcc!regard at topaz (Adrienne Regard)
    To:   SF-LOVERS at MIT-MC
[...]

I believe this is by C.M. Kornbluth, from (sic) The Best Of C.M.
Kornbluth.

leeper@ahuta.UUCP (m.leeper) (02/15/85)

REFERENCES:  <600@topaz.ARPA>

 >Can anyone remember a book of short stories, at least 20
 >years old, containing "The Lady Who Sailed the Soul"?   The
 >lead story and the book title were the same and had
 >something to do with drug expanded consciousness --
 >MindBender?  MindBreaker?  Something like that.  Any clues?
 >THANKS!!!!  I believe this is by C.M.  Kornbluth, from (sic)
 >The Best Of C.M.  Kornbluth.

I didn't remember that "Lady" was in the anthology but I recognized
your description as being "Mind Partner" by Christopher Anvil from the
book MIND PARTNER AND 8 OTHER NOVELETS FROM GALAXY ed. by H. L. Gold.
I have always been fond of "Mind Partner" as being one of the best
drug-related stories.  "Lady" follows it directly in the book.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!ahuta!leeper