[misc.wanted] Want to set up Public Access UNIX PC

bob@rush.cts.com (Bob "Rush" Ames) (05/15/88)

I'm setting up a UNIX PC for public access and am interested in hearing
from others who have done this.  Are there any UNIX PC BBSs out there?
What types of BBS software are available?  I'm only interested in providing
news, mail, and possibly local discussions, to the outside world.  Users will
not get to shells or Offices.

Can I use a different Dialup Password for each user, with none when logged in
to the initial 'guest' account?

BTW I'm running 3.51, HDB, 2400 baud External modem.

Bob Ames

RRRR    U   U    SSS    H   H   UNIKS PC Support Center   619-432-6860
R   R   U   U   S   S   H   H
R   R   U   U   S       H   H     UUCP: {cbosgd, ucsd, nosc}!crash!rush!bob
RRRR    U   U    SSS    HHHHH     INET: bob@rush.cts.com
R R     U   U       S   H   H     Interstellar Freight Service:
R  R    U   U   S   S   H   H     "We're not afraid of Klingons!"
R   R   UUUUU    SSS    H   H     - Doug Miller '78

rusty@hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) (05/17/88)

In article <728@rush.cts.com>, bob@rush.cts.com (Bob "Rush" Ames) writes:
> What types of BBS software are available?  I'm only interested in providing
> news, mail, and possibly local discussions, to the outside world.  Users will
> not get to shells or Offices.

We are running a package called People Net (P-net).  It is a very
sophisticated BBS/Messaging system taht handles private mail and
conferences.  It supports networking via UUCP or directly to other
P-net systems, it has a great interface to NetNews, it has a great mail
interface, - basically it is powerful without being complex.  If you
want to try it out, you can call my system (714) 921-1090.  Login as
bbs and type 'guest' at the BBS Login prompt.

I have a long spiel about P-net I can post if you are interested. (It
is available for a lot of different Unix systems, by the way).

Oh- you can write to bblue@crash.cts.com for more details.  It is
published by United Software Industries in Canoga Park, CA.

--
Rusty Hodge, HCR Inc, 1588 N. Batavia St. Orange, CA 92667      (714) 974-6300
rusty@hodge.cts.com [uunet vdelta crash]!hodge!rusty        FAX (714) 921-8038