[misc.wanted] IBM PC Terminal emulator / Graphics interface

car@pte.UUCP (Chris Rende) (07/29/88)

We have IBM PC compatibles which we use with our Unix System V release 2
system. We would like to find a terminal emulator package for the IBM PC
which can work nicely with VI, curses, etc... The other important feature
we need is for the emulator to display graphics from Unix programs. Perhaps
a Tektronix emulator of sorts. (This may require 2 different emulators, one
for use as a terminal, the other as a graphics display).

Any information or experiences on products or source code would be greatly
appreciated.

car.

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) (08/02/88)

I suggest you look into the public-domain Kermit program(s) out of Columbia
University (and widely available just about everywhere else).  The current (?)
version appears to be v2.30, and performs VT102 (NOT VT100; my major com-
plaint) and TEK 4010 emulation.  If you can create a VT102 termcap you should
be all set; personally I find that using the "standard" VT100 termcap with
v2.30 is a royal pain, and I prefer slightly EARLIER (v2.28 or before) versions
as they do the *best* VT100 emulation I've seen.  They DON'T do graphics, how-
ever.

But what the heck, it seems to be FREE, at least no one has ever asked me to
pay for copies, in a University environment where such things are taken IN-
CREDIBLY seriously.

Good luck!

  Chris Chiesa

--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP

sullivan@phyllis.math.binghamton.edu (fred sullivan) (08/02/88)

In article <3523@bsu-cs.UUCP> cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) writes:

>I suggest you look into the public-domain Kermit program(s) out of Columbia
>University (and widely available just about everywhere else).  The current (?)
>version appears to be v2.30, and performs VT102 (NOT VT100; my major com-

part 1 (of 9) of v2.31 appeared at this site today in comp/binaries.ibm.pc

Fred Sullivan				SUNY at Binghamton
Dept. Math. Sciences			Binghamton, NY 13903
					sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu
First you make a roux!

wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) (08/02/88)

In article <3523@bsu-cs.UUCP> cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) writes:

>I suggest you look into the public-domain Kermit program(s) out of Columbia
>University (and widely available just about everywhere else).  The current (?)
>version appears to be v2.30, and performs VT102 (NOT VT100; my major com-

I do have vt102 termcap and terminfo entries that work with both Kermit-MS
v2.30 and my vt220 in vt102 mode.  They even work on my UNIX-PC.  If you want
them I'll mail them to you.  I also have entries for my CP/M Kaypro, if anyone
is interested.

				Jeff Wieland
				wieland@ecn.purdue.edu

len@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (Leonard P Levine) (08/03/88)

From article <3523@bsu-cs.UUCP>, by cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa):

> I suggest you look into the public-domain Kermit program(s) out of Columbia
> University (and widely available just about everywhere else).  The current (?)
> version appears to be v2.30, and performs VT102 (NOT VT100; my major com-
> plaint) and TEK 4010 emulation.  If you can create a VT102 termcap you should
> be all set; personally I find that using the "standard" VT100 termcap with

It is freeware, subject only to a small media charge.  It is also currently
being issued on the .bin board.  Works real well too.

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
| Leonard P. Levine                  e-mail len@evax.milw.wisc.edu    |
| Professor, Computer Science                Office (414) 229-5170    |
| University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee          Home   (414) 962-4719    |
| Milwaukee, WI 53201 U. S. A.               Modem  (414) 962-6228    |
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) (08/03/88)

In article <1342@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, sullivan@phyllis.math.binghamton.edu (fred sullivan) writes:
 > In article <3523@bsu-cs.UUCP> cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) writes:
 > >
 > >I suggest you look into the public-domain Kermit program(s) out of Columbia
 > >University (and widely available just about everywhere else).  The current (?)
 > >version appears to be v2.30, and performs VT102 (NOT VT100; my major com-
 >
 > part 1 (of 9) of v2.31 appeared at this site today in comp/binaries.ibm.pc
 >
 > Fred Sullivan				SUNY at Binghamton
 > Dept. Math. Sciences			Binghamton, NY 13903
 > 					sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu

Yes, I can confirm that - NOW; it's being sent from the very site at which I
am located.  I posted my original message about v2.30 early last  evening, then
later last night a friend here told me that our system administrator had
received, and was posting to the Net in 9 parts (spaced eight hours apart),
v2.31.  The timing on this just wasn't what it should have been, I guess.

--

spolsky@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Joel Spolsky) (08/03/88)

In article <3523@bsu-cs.UUCP> cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) writes:

>I suggest you look into the public-domain Kermit program(s) out of Columbia
>University (and widely available just about everywhere else).  The current (?)
>version appears to be v2.30,

2.31 is out; it adds a great script language and some other improvements.

>and performs VT102 (NOT VT100; my major complaint) and TEK 4010
>emulation.

Don't complain. VT102 is a strict superset of VT100; the difference is
that VT102 allows inserting and deleting characters in the middle of
the line, which  makes editors much easier to use at slow speeds.

>  If you can create a VT102 termcap you should
>be all set; personally I find that using the "standard" VT100 termcap with
>v2.30 is a royal pain,

Use the "standard" vt200 termcap, which will allow enlightened
programs to use the insert/delete character feature. I use kermit 2.31
with a vt200 termcap and emacs works perfectly. (emacs seems to know
all about vt200's). Anyhow I don't know of anything VT200 supports
that VT102 doesn't; maybe some arcane things like double-height
half-letters and stuff but nobody uses those.

>and I prefer slightly EARLIER (v2.28 or before) versions
>as they do the *best* VT100 emulation I've seen.  They DON'T do graphics, how-
>ever.

Thats weird. 2.28 didn't do VT100, only VT52 and Heath-19. I guess
this goes to show that kermit is such a good program that its VT52
emulation beats other VT100 emulations :-) (But seriously, VT52 lacks
highlighting, a serious limitation).

>But what the heck, it seems to be FREE, at least no one has ever asked me to
>pay for copies, in a University environment where such things are taken IN-
>CREDIBLY seriously.

You can get it by ftping to cu20b.columbia.edu; write to me if you
can't figure out how to do this.

>  Chris Chiesa

Joel Spolsky
Bell Communications Research
spolsky@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
...!rutgers!bellcore!pyuxss!spolsky

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (08/05/88)

In article <3523@bsu-cs.UUCP> cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) writes:
<
<I suggest you look into the public-domain Kermit program(s) out of Columbia
<University (and widely available just about everywhere else).  The current (?)
<version appears to be v2.30, and performs VT102 (NOT VT100; my major com-
<plaint) and TEK 4010 emulation.  If you can create a VT102 termcap you should
<be all set; personally I find that using the "standard" VT100 termcap with
<v2.30 is a royal pain, and I prefer slightly EARLIER (v2.28 or before) versions
<as they do the *best* VT100 emulation I've seen.  They DON'T do graphics, how-
<ever.

The VT102 termcap is nothing but a VT100 termcap with two new cursor motion
commands (for speed) added.  So, if it supports VT102, it supports VT100.
By termcap, I also mean emulation.  The reverse is true, ie, if you have a
terminal emulator that supports only VT100 and it gets one of the two VT102
cursor commands, you will have problems.

On my vax (4.3BSD) I was using the VT102 emulator as VT100 termcap, until
I fixed up the VT102 termcap entry, which was the VT100 with the two added
cursor commands.
--
	       harvard-\	att!terminus--\
Mr. Video         ucbvax!uwvax.................!nicmad!brown