[net.sf-lovers] Re Group minds

gibson@unc.UUCP (Bill Gibson) (02/17/85)

>From: kenah%super.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Andrew Kenah, DTN 381-1576)
>
>Probably the best depiction of the group mind/racial memory idea is
>Arthur C. Clarke's "Childhood's End". (Highly recommended.)
>Another novel that also considers the idea of the group mind is
>Theodore Sturgeon's "More Than Human". (Also highly recommended.)

A racial memory (referred to as 'the Recorder') plays an important role
in the Gandalara Cycle, a series which Randall Garrett and Vickie Heydron
(?sp) are writing.  The series starts with 'The Steel of Raithskar'; the
latest (6th) book is 'Return to Eddarta' (publication date in the front
says March 1985).
This series revolves around a culture which lives in a large desert
region on an unspecified planet. More fantasy than SF, I guess. One
of the most interesting aspects for me is the relationship between
bipedals/human-types and sentient carnivore cats. These two groups act
as sort of police/army in a society where few formal rules can be
enforced.
The books are (for me) very difficult to put down.

Bill Gibson
gibson@unc                     ...[akgua,decvax,philabs]!mcnc!unc!gibson