[misc.wanted] Unix PC Word Processor

wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) (10/11/88)

We are looking for a word processor for Unix-PC's.  We have been using
CrystalWriter on our approximately 70 machines, but we need something with
more powerful desktop publishing capabilities.  So, what are you people
out there using?

			Jeff Wieland

sac@conrad.UUCP (Steven A. Conrad) (10/15/88)

In article <5836@ea.ecn.purdue.edu> wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) writes:
>We are looking for a word processor for Unix-PC's.  We have been using
>CrystalWriter on our approximately 70 machines, but we need something with
>more powerful desktop publishing capabilities.  So, what are you people
>out there using?
>
>			Jeff Wieland

What about good old troff?  Even though it is not what you would call
'user friendly', a large group of us are using it at our institution.
This group includes PhD's, MD's, administrative assistants, secretaries,
part-time clerical workers, graduate students, etc.  All have easily
learned vi, troff, and the troff preprocessors, including pic, grap,
eqn, and tbl.  It does take a small initial investment in time, the
the flexibility and capabilities are well worth it, however.

	Steve Conrad
--
Steven A. Conrad,  Department of Medicine (Critical Care)
Louisiana State University Medical Center, Shreveport, LA