[misc.wanted] WWIV BBS 'C' sources wanted.

logex@altger.UUCP (logex) (01/02/89)

Hi:

I am interested in the 'C' sources for the
'WWIV' bulletin board system. I am specially
interested in version 4.05 and 4.06

This is a public domain software as far
as i know. If you can help me, please
respond by e-mail.
_P

nclamber@ndsuvax.UUCP (Pete Lambertz) (01/03/89)

In article <1274@altger.UUCP> logex@altger.UUCP (logex) writes:
>Hi:
>
>I am interested in the 'C' sources for the
>'WWIV' bulletin board system. I am specially
>interested in version 4.05 and 4.06
>
>This is a public domain software as far
>as i know. If you can help me, please
>respond by e-mail.
>_P

     The following was taken from the documentation distributed with WWIV v4+.
  It is long so if you have no interest in WWIV no need to read on.
  And although I don't agree with everything in it, I feel anyone interested
  in WWIV source code should read this.

                      WWIV v4 Documentation
                Copyright (c) 1988 by Wayne Bell

Your best bet for contacting me and getting a quick reply (within
a day or two) is to call up my BBS and leave me feedback.  The
number is 213-208-6689, and I support 300/1200/2400 baud, and the
system is open 24 hours per day.

Unfortunately (for you, not me), I do not give out my voice
number.  My number is unlisted, so don't bother trying to call
information.  I'm afraid I would get just too many phone calls if
I did give out my number, and there are other things in my life
besides supporting WWIV.

As you have probably seen, the BBS, as it is distributed, is pre-
compiled, and the source code is not included.  This does not
mean, however, that the source code is not available.  For a
donation of $50, you will get access to the source code (in Turbo
C 1.5), and be able to download it from my system.  For another
$5, I will send you a disk with the current version on it to you.
That is, $55, and I'll send you the source.  If you want me to
send you an update of the source later on, you'll have to send
another $5.  I really prefer that people download it from my
system.

As many people out there are aware, all previous versions of WWIV
have been distributed as source code only, to allow people to
really look through it.  Unfortunately, there have been just too
many instances of plagiarism (yes, I have seen/heard of quite a
few people who make a few minor cosmetic changes, then slap their
own name on it).

So, due to those few who like taking credit for other people's
work, the majority of users lose out.  I'm really sorry that it
has to be this way, and that there are so many leeches out there,
but that seems to be the way it is.  I was even told once by
someone that I should consider it an HONOR that he chose my BBS
to plagiarize.

To further guard against plagiarists, I am not going to be
distributing the source to the initialization program, but only
the source to the BBS.

So, please, if you use WWIV, send in the $50.  Many other BBS
programs SELL for over twice that, and those don't include source
code.  The BBS is currently around 20,000 lines of code (that's
around 400 pages), and there's no way I'm going to get back from
this even enough to pay for my time writing it at the minimum
wage.  If you are dedicating your $1000+ computer to running the
BBS, isn't it worth a measly $50 for the program you're using?

Wayne Bell
Box 636
904 Silver Spur Road
Rolling Hills Estates, CA  90274

One other un-nice thing I feel I need to say here.  I rarely get
a chance to call out to many other BBS's, so if you get someone
calling your BBS saying they're me, they probably aren't.  If
someone does log onto your BBS claiming to be me, please call up
my BBS and check to make sure that it actually is me, not just
someone figuring he'll get higher access by claiming to be me.
And, yes, I have heard of this happening, at least twice, so it
isn't just some fantasy in my mind about my popularity.

Pete Lambertz           North Dakota State University,  Fargo, ND  58105
  UUCP:                 ...!uunet!ndsuvax!nclamber
  BITNET:               nclamber@ndsuvax.bitnet
  INTERNET:             nclamber@plains.NoDak.edu

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (01/08/89)

In article <1274@altger.UUCP>, logex@altger.UUCP (logex) writes:
> Hi:
>
> I am interested in the 'C' sources for the
> 'WWIV' bulletin board system. I am specially
> interested in version 4.05 and 4.06
> This is a public domain software as far
> as i know. If you can help me, please
> respond by e-mail.
> _P

I have earlier version sources (2.something) and those are in
Turbo Pascal (they compiled with 3.0).  It is shareware, or was
then, and if anyone wishes, I can forward or post the author's
name and address.

Charles Marslett
STB Systems, Inc.  <== Apply all standard disclaimers
Wordmark Systems   <== No disclaimers required -- that's just me
chasm@killer.dallas.tx.us