[misc.wanted] Satanic Viruses: blasphemy against computer cult

ray@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Thomas Ray) (02/20/89)

     I would like to know the author and title of a recently published book
on the subject of computer viruses.  The book is mentioned in the current
issue of PC Magazine (Vol. 8, Num. 4, p. 65), however the author of the
article piously refuses to give the author, title or publisher, as he
believes the book to be too blasphemous.  Also I would like any other
references to computer virus literature.  I am an evolutionary biologist
and am interested in studying self replicating code with mutation and
recombination as a model for molecular evolution.  Thus the interest in
computer viruses.  Post in the group or directly by e-mail.  Thank you.

                   Tom Ray
                   School of Life & Health Sciences
                   University of Delaware
                   Newark, DE  19716
                   ray@vax1.acs.udel.edu

jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) (02/21/89)

<...I would like to know the author and title of a recently published book on
the subject of computer viruses.  The book is mentioned in the current issue of
PC Magazine (Vol. 8, Num. 4, p. 65), however the author of the article piously
refuses to give the author, title or publisher, as he believes the book to be
too blasphemous...>

I'm sorry, but the author is in hiding.  The computer science department head
of a major university has reportedly offered $5 million to any one who would
"send this fellow to the bit bucket".

In the announcement, it was stated that it was "every hacker's duty" to track
down and EOF the basphemer, although the cash reward would cheerfully be
rewarded to even those who cannot operate a microwave oven, should they succeed
in performing a "kill -9" on the wretch.

(OK, alright, ":-)"

:::::: Jan Steinman - N7JDB		   Electronic Systems Laboratory ::::::
:::::: jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM	      Box 500, MS 50-370 (w)503/627-5881 ::::::
:::::: jsteinma@caip.RUTGERS.EDU     Beaverton, OR 97077 (h)503/657-7703 ::::::

ed@maven.UUCP (Ed Hand) (02/23/89)

In article <4672@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) writes:
> <...I would like to know the author and title of a recently published book on
> the subject of computer viruses.  The book is mentioned in the current issue of
> PC Magazine (Vol. 8, Num. 4, p. 65), however the author of the article piously
> refuses to give the author, title or publisher, as he believes the book to be
> too blasphemous...>
>
> I'm sorry, but the author is in hiding.  The computer science department head
> of a major university has reportedly offered $5 million to any one who would
> "send this fellow to the bit bucket".
> In the announcement, it was stated that it was "every hacker's duty" to track
> down and EOF the basphemer, although the cash reward would cheerfully be
> rewarded to even those who cannot operate a microwave oven, should they succeed
> in performing a "kill -9" on the wretch.
> :::::: Jan Steinman - N7JDB		   Electronic Systems Laboratory ::::::

OK.  You still haven't metion the title of the book though.  Do you know
who the author is?  Also, this sound like an interesting *announcement*,
could you post it?  Or was it and I just missed it?
Gee, I think I could use an extra 5 mill.  Got any leads? :-)

   /---\            |   ...I may be crazy...     |   Ed Hand
  ( o o )    *      |   ...But it just might be  |   Intergraph Corp.
  \  ^  /   ***     |   a lunatic your looking   | b11!maven!ed@Ingr.com
   \ ~ /    /*      |   for...                   |          or
    ---\___/        |             Billy Joel     | !uunet!ingr!b11!maven!ed

rroot@edm.UUCP (Stephen Samuel) (03/02/89)

From article <760@maven.UUCP>, by ed@maven.UUCP (Ed Hand):
> In article <4672@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) writes:
>> <...I would like to know the author and title of a recently published book on
>> the subject of computer viruses.  The book is mentioned in the current issue of
>> PC Magazine (Vol. 8, Num. 4, p. 65), however the author of the article piously
>> refuses to give the author, title or publisher, as he believes the book to be
>> too blasphemous...>

                       /usr/group/edmonton
                          MARCH MEETING
                 Wednesday March 1 at 7:30 P.M.
                      University of Alberta
                    General Services Building
               (on corner of 116 St. and 91 Ave.)
                        Everyone Welcome

Guest speakers:
	Peter Johnston (University Computing Services)
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	Steve Sutphen (Department of Computing Science)

The theme for this meeting is electronic viruses and worms.  Peter Johnston,
co-author of the recently published book "The Computer Virus Crisis" (Fites,
Johnston, and Kratz, New York 1988) will talk about electronic viruses, worms,
how they differ from each other, and how users may avoid them.  Following the
break, Steve Sutphen will talk about the internet worm that was released on
November 3, 1988, a date now regarded by many computer scientists as "Black
Thursday".  As usual, coffee and doughnuts will be available.
* Registered trademark of AT&T in the USA and other countries.

If you book your flight RIGHT NOW, you may be able to make it into edmonton
in time to be here for his talk....
   Note: Du to recent death threats, we may be installing a metal detector
for this meeting. Pleas leave your weapons (and bulk ereasers) at home.
(-: This smiley isn't REALLY  needed is it??? :-)

--
Stephen Samuel 	  (userzxcv@ualtamts.bitnet   or  alberta!edm!steve)