[misc.wanted] HP Thinkjet portable printer

BVAUGHAN@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Barbara Vaughan) (03/31/89)

I was recently at a workshop in China, where one of the other participants
had brought along her HP Thinkjet printer. I was impressed with its small
size and quiet operation, which are two things I require in a home printer.
(cramped quarters, thin walls, late nights) The print quality was much
better than what I've seen in similar printers (Diaconix Ink Jet, for
instance.) The owner hadn't had it for long, so couldn't help me regarding
reliability, etc. She said that some of the cartridges seemed to have lost
their vacuum seal on the plane ride and had to be discarded. Also there
seemed to be some problem with the cable as sometimes it would appear to
be on-line but nothing happened. Can anyone give me more information about
about the reliability of this printer? I probably would not be travelling
much with it, and do most of my printing at the office.

ns@maccs.McMaster.CA (Nicholas Solntseff) (04/05/89)

In article <7713@pucc.Princeton.EDU> BVAUGHAN@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>I was recently at a workshop in China, where one of the other participants
>had brought along her HP Thinkjet printer. I was impressed .....
>                          ...... Can anyone give me more information about
>about the reliability of this printer? I probably would not be travelling
>much with it, and do most of my printing at the office.

Computer Science at McMaster bought four the year the Thinkjets appeared.

One was returned a couple of weeks after arrival because it would not work,
one failed after two years and was retired because repairs were quoted to
be almost 75% of purchase price!  The remaining two are still working --
one in the departmental office as a draft printer (a 24-pin Fulitsu is
the primary printer), and the other I have at home for occasional near
letter quality printing.

My main criticisms are: the ink carttridge only lasts for less than 500 sheets;
I am not satified with the print quality unless I use the HP ink-jet printer
paper.  The cost per 2,500 sheets is thus CAN$60 for paper plus CAN$60 for ink
cartridge -- a bit too much for widespread use!

Nick Solntseff
(416) 525-9140 xtn 3443

carlson@gateway.mitre.org (Bruce Carlson) (04/08/89)

In article <7713@pucc.Princeton.EDU> BVAUGHAN@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>I was recently at a workshop in China, where one of the other participants
>had brought along her HP Thinkjet printer. I was impressed with its small
>size and quiet operation, which are two things I require in a home printer.
>(cramped quarters, thin walls, late nights) The print quality was much
>better than what I've seen in similar printers (Diaconix Ink Jet, for
>instance.) The owner hadn't had it for long, so couldn't help me regarding
>reliability, etc. She said that some of the cartridges seemed to have lost
>their vacuum seal on the plane ride and had to be discarded. Also there
>seemed to be some problem with the cable as sometimes it would appear to
>be on-line but nothing happened. Can anyone give me more information about
>about the reliability of this printer? I probably would not be travelling
>much with it, and do most of my printing at the office.

An organization I worked for during 85-88 bought about 60 of these
printers and they were the 'standard issue' to use with each person's
PC.  I vaguely remember one breaking, but I don't remember what was wrong
with it.  As far as I can tell they were very reliable.

There are limitations:

requires special ink-jet paper - more expensive
ink cartridges dry out sometimes and must be reprimed (easy to do)
some ink cartridges seem to be short-lived, some are okay
the printer cannot print to the edges of the paper (only prints 8 inch width)
the epson emulation mode is not perfect, it misses a few features

Good points:

extremely quiet
very reliable (as far as I can tell)
very small
available in serial or parallel versions

Just my opinions

Bruce Carlson

mcwill@inmos.co.uk (Iain McWilliams) (04/17/89)

We have a few Thinkjets, mostly GPIB but one is a serial printer. I was
trying to use the serial example recently but could not get it to send
XON / XOFF characters. Naturally the only manuals I could find refered
to the GPIB models.

So could some kind soul send me an explanation of the DIP settings.

Thanks in advance,
Iain.

--
Iain McWilliams     Inmos Ltd, 1000 Aztec West, Almondsbury, Bristol, BS12 4SQ
The opinions above are my personal views and do  |