[misc.wanted] Want computer/voice sales hardware/software

max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) (05/15/89)

My brother-in-law is looking for a PC compatible sales machine that
will perform sequential dialing, deliver a message, detect answering
machines, and accept voice recordings.  Please send me Email on any
such devices.
Thanx in advance...

--
Max Heffler                     uucp: ..!uunet!jma!max
Landmark Graphics Corp.         phone: (713) 579-4751

doc@holin.ATT.COM (David Mundhenk) (05/15/89)

In article <151@jma.UUCP> max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) writes:
>My brother-in-law is looking for a PC compatible sales machine that
>will perform sequential dialing, deliver a message, detect answering
>machines, and accept voice recordings.  Please send me Email on any
>such devices.
>Thanx in advance...

PLEASE HELP...

I'm looking for an answering machine that will detect sales machine
recordings and promptly HANG UP!
There isn't going to be any room left on my tape for "REAL" messages!

-Dave

mzal@pegasus.ATT.COM (Mike Zaleski) (05/15/89)

In article <151@jma.UUCP>:
>... looking for a PC compatible sales machine that will perform
>sequential dialing, deliver a message, detect answering
>machines, and accept voice recordings.

I am looking for a zapper which can automatically destroy these
machines that are leaving 5 minute sales messages on my answering
machine, or which can be manually used when one of these sequential
dial-and-annoy devices drags me away from something more important
than their message.

>Please send me Email on any such devices.  Thanx in advance...

Ditto.

-- "The Model Citizen" Mike^Z  [ allegra, rutgers!att ] pegasus!mzal

mesmo@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Chris Johnson) (05/16/89)

In article <519@holin.ATT.COM> doc@holin.ATT.COM (David Mundhenk) writes:
>In article <151@jma.UUCP> max@jma.UUCP (Mark Heffler) writes:
>>
>>My brother-in-law is looking for a PC compatible sales machine that
>>will perform sequential dialing, deliver a message, detect answering
>>machines, and accept voice recordings.  Please send me Email on any
>>such devices.
>>Thanx in advance...
>
>PLEASE HELP...
>>I'm looking for an answering machine that will detect sales machine
>recordings and promptly HANG UP!
>There isn't going to be any room left on my tape for "REAL" messages!

	Here in CA, there is a piece of legislation pending which would
	make UNSOLICITED electronic communications illegal -- this is
	intended to apply to junk fax mail, computer solicitations etc.
	The only improvement I suggest is a ban on ALL unsolicited
	sales-type phone calls, whether or not electronic.

	For those of you in less enlightened parts of the country, I
	strongly suggest you get on the backs of your local legislators
	in order to get a similar law put in effect.

	This has been discussed at length in comp.org.ieee if you are
	interested in further details.
 Chris M Johnson === mesmo@portia.stanford.edu === "Grad school sucks rocks"
            "Imitation is the sincerest form of plagiarism" -- ALF

vail@tegra.UUCP (Johnathan Vail) (05/16/89)

In article <2882@pegasus.ATT.COM> mzal@pegasus.ATT.COM (Mike Zaleski) writes:

   In article <151@jma.UUCP>:
   >... looking for a PC compatible sales machine that will perform
   >sequential dialing, deliver a message, detect answering
   >machines, and accept voice recordings.

   I am looking for a zapper which can automatically destroy these
   machines that are leaving 5 minute sales messages on my answering
   machine, or which can be manually used when one of these sequential
   dial-and-annoy devices drags me away from something more important
   than their message.

Try just setting the phone down.  If you hang up then the machine can
go right on to bothering someone else.  If you just leave the phone
off hook you waste its time and *hopefully* burn up its dime.

"I remember when the sea was full of fish with mysterious names:
Mudrake, Cornsweat, Yasmuda, and there wasn't much to do in a day."
 _____
 -----

paul@deadpup.UUCP (paul) (05/20/89)

In article <504@atlas.tegra.UUCP>, vail@tegra.UUCP (Johnathan Vail) writes:
> In article <2882@pegasus.ATT.COM> mzal@pegasus.ATT.COM (Mike Zaleski) writes:
>
>    In article <151@jma.UUCP>:
>    >... looking for a PC compatible sales machine that will perform
>    >sequential dialing, deliver a message, detect answering
>    >machines, and accept voice recordings.
>
>    I am looking for a zapper which can automatically destroy these
>
> Try just setting the phone down.  If you hang up then the machine can
> go right on to bothering someone else.

I have encountered one such machine that when I used this technique
kept calling me back every 30 min or so. Upon listening to the recording,
I found that there was a point fairly early in the spiel where the victum
was supposed to respond. Apparently no response to this initial query
caused the bugger to hang up and call again later. Since then, I tend
to put the handset on top of my computer, where the hum of the three
muffin fans seems to keep the machine recording. Though I have also toyed
with the idea of acquiring one of those small freon horns and giving
whoever's on the other end a real surprise.

Paul J. Mech
oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU!deadpup!paul
uiucuxc!oucs!oucsace!deadpup!paul