[misc.wanted] Help in connecting IBM-PC's to mac.

yogi@humus.Huji.AC.IL (Yossi Gil) (05/23/89)

Can someone please help us in the followin problem:

We have 14 IBM-PC connected with a corvus system. The system
is old, slow and most important unreliable. THe hard disk is
~10MB. Fromwhich only 6-7Mb is usable. It crashes periodicly,
and suffers from other problems.

Just next to this old system we have 19 mac's connected with
appletalk (the hardware) and appleshare (networking software),
with a 140MB disk server (mac SE). We would like to use this
network with our ibm's and give the corvus to charity. (If
they would accept  :-))

All we need from the network is the ability to store read only
files in PC format. WE do not need any file transmittions
between IBM/mac, just a huge common, read only hard disk for
our IBM's. This partition need not even be accesible from
the mac.
Printing and other resourse sharing is not a requirment too.

I know that there are apple talk cards for the PC, but I am
not sure as to software.

My question: can this be done?  Can we live with apple share,
or do we have to use another networking software? Did anyone
do it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanx

prem@crackle.amd.com (Prem Sobel) (05/24/89)

In article <340@shuldig.huji.ac.il> yogi%humus.bitnet@humus.Huji.AC.IL () writes:
>All we need from the network is the ability to store read only
>files in PC format. WE do not need any file transmittions
>between IBM/mac, just a huge common, read only hard disk for
>our IBM's. This partition need not even be accesible from
>the mac.  Printing and other resourse sharing is not a requirment too.
>
>I know that there are apple talk cards for the PC, but I am
>not sure as to software.

What you want is called TOPS, now own by Sun Microsystems.
It allows PCs to use AppleTalk.  It is software that runs on the PCs and
requires a card in each PC. About $125-$150 for the hardware and the same
for the software. This will allow you to share the Apple printers too.

If you get the software for the Macs, about $125, then they can also read
or write or execute files in PC land.

We use it here it works great.

Prem

ih@doc.ic.ac.uk (Ian Harries) (05/25/89)

In article <340@shuldig.huji.ac.il> yogi%humus.bitnet@humus.Huji.AC.IL () writes:

>Can someone please help us in the followin problem:
>
>We have 14 IBM-PC connected with a corvus system. ...
>
>Just next to this old system we have 19 mac's connected ...
>
>All we need from the network is the ability to store read only
>files in PC format. ...

"DayStar LT200 LocalTalk interface boards provide the path that connects the
IBM PC/XT/AT, PS/2 or compatible into the LocalTalk network. Simply install ...
load the driver and have immediate access to all Macintoshes and other Network
devices, including PostScript printers and network file servers"

available from your usual supplier ?

>Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!
>
>Thanx

you're welcome

  Ian Harries                                   Department of Computing
  MicroComputer Support Officer                 Imperial College
                                                180 Queen's Gate
  Janet: ih@uk.ac.ic.doc                        London SW7 2BZ
  DARPA: ih%doc.ic.ac.uk                        United Kingdom
  Uucp:  ih@icdoc.UUCP, ukc!icdoc!ih            Tel: +44 1 589 5111 x5052