[misc.wanted] Removable hard drive needed

faigin@aerospace.aero.org (Daniel P. Faigin) (06/03/89)

A friend recently asked me questions about IBM PC peripherals. Not being
intimately familiar with the PC, I figured I would toss the question in this
direction and see what comes back. Unfortunately, as the IBM PC is not in my
normal field of interest, I am not a regular reader of this newsgroup;
hence, replies via electronic mail as opposed to posting would be most
appreciated. You can also contact me at the addresses shown in my signature.
You can also contact my friend directly at 818/842-6121 x449. Ask for KMD.

What I am looking for is a removable hard drive, minimum capacity 10 megabytes,
that can interface with either plain or 286 IBM PCs. Furthermore, the
users of these removable drives are not the most sophisticated; they need to
be easily removable and reinsertable (this will need to be done on a daily
basis). I have the feeling that such beasts exist, but I don't know where
to look for them. Can you help?

Daniel
Work :The Aerospace Corp M8/055 * POB 92957 * LA, CA 90009-2957 * 213/336-3149
Home :8333 Columbus Avenue #17  * Sepulveda CA 91343            * 818/892-8555
Email:faigin@aerospace.aero.org (or) Faigin@dockmaster.ncsc.mil
Voicemail: 213/336-5454 Box#3149 * "Take what you like, and leave the rest"

bg0l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Bruce E. Golightly) (06/06/89)

Try Tanden. They've started marleting a removable hard disk pack that sounds
like it meets hte need pretty well. I looked into these things for an
application we were going to work on a while back, and was impressed with
them. Capacities are limited, though. Max is 40M as I recall.

One of the things I like about these is that they're reasonably sturdy. We
dropped one we had in for testing about four feet onto a concrete floor
and it came through fine.

On the down side, they're kond of pricey. The drive is about $500 and the
packs are about $300 for a 20M, as I recall.

hollen@eta.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (06/07/89)

From article <MYWx=By00WB2AL5wAH@andrew.cmu.edu>, by bg0l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Bruce E. Golightly):
> Try Tanden. They've started marleting a removable hard disk pack that sounds
> like it meets hte need pretty well. I looked into these things for an
> application we were going to work on a while back, and was impressed with
> them. Capacities are limited, though. Max is 40M as I recall.
>
> On the down side, they're kond of pricey. The drive is about $500 and the
> packs are about $300 for a 20M, as I recall.

I didn't see original posting, but if poster can live with 6Mb, Kodak
is now marketing a drive which looks like a floppy, but uses special
media holding 6Mb.  The drive/controller combination in in the $300
range and the media is about $30 each.  Don't flame me if these prices
are off, this is strictly from memory of last fall COMDEX.

	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121

                                seismo!s3sun!megatek!hollen
                                ames!scubed/

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (06/08/89)

In article <570@megatek.UUCP> hollen@eta.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) writes:
}I didn't see original posting, but if poster can live with 6Mb, Kodak
}is now marketing a drive which looks like a floppy, but uses special
}media holding 6Mb.  The drive/controller combination in in the $300
}range and the media is about $30 each.  Don't flame me if these prices
}are off, this is strictly from memory of last fall COMDEX.

There are also at least two companies slated to release 20M 3.5 inch floppies
this summer.  One drive is supposed to OEM for $250 with media at about $20.
--
{harvard,uunet,ucbvax}!b.gp.cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=- AT&T: (412)268-3053 (school)
ARPA: RALF@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU |"Tolerance means excusing the mistakes others make.