[misc.wanted] DIABLO 630 Printer Pinouts

gsarff@sarek.UUCP (Gary Sarff) (09/01/89)

I recently acquired a very used diablo 630 ecs daisy wheel printer.  It has
a db-15 interface connector on the back (female) and I would like to know if
someone knows the pinouts for this thing.  I am sure the connector is serial,
the other connector is some large amphenol looking thing that is an IEEE-488
interface, so the db-15 is the serial.  Thanks to anyone who can help.
Email would probably be best since this isn't of general interest.
Likely path:
       ..uunet!utah-cs!utah-gr!uplherc!wicat!sarek!gsarff

The best swords can cut you and you don't even know you have been cut until
you start to bleed.

noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (N. Del More) (09/04/89)

In article <00297@sarek.UUCP> gsarff@sarek.UUCP (Gary Sarff) writes:
>I recently acquired a very used diablo 630 ecs daisy wheel printer.  It has
>a db-15 interface connector on the back (female) and I would like to know if
>someone knows the pinouts for this thing.  I am sure the connector is serial,
>the other connector is some large amphenol looking thing that is an IEEE-488
>interface, so the db-15 is the serial.  Thanks to anyone who can help.

I do believe that you are wrong.  I also have an ancient but working
Diablo with the same configuration.

The DB15 connector is, if I remember correctly, for a sheet feeder (I
don't have one).  The DB50 (I think thats what it is called, is the
connector for BOTH serial and parallel input from the computer.

You must use the correct cable, which varies only in the manner in which
it is wired, for the type of interface desired.

Mine came with a parallel cable, but I do have the pin-outs for a serial
cable which I beleive are correct (someone please advise me if I am
wrong).  I haven't had time to wire it up yet, so I'm not absolutely sure
they are correct.

	Serial Interface  DB25 -> DB50

	3	24
	2	48
	20	49
	7	47
	5&6	25

You then need to set the switches inside the printer to conform to the
serial baud rate etc. that you intend to use.

I don't have the pin outs for the parallel cable, as I already had the
cable.

This info is not in any of the manuals that I am aware of.

Diablo (Xerox) Technical Support can still be obtained by calling
415 887-5903.

IMHO, the Diablo 630 is a wonderful, built like a brick sh*thouse
monstrosity.  I just hope the danged thing never breaks as no one can
afford the repair! (probably cheaper to buy another used one).

Noel

jcgs@wundt.harlqn.uucp (John Sturdy) (09/05/89)

(I tried mail, but couldn't get it through.)

>I recently acquired a very used diablo 630 ecs daisy wheel printer.  It has
>a db-15 interface connector on the back (female) and I would like to know if
>someone knows the pinouts for this thing.

I have a diablo manual handy (but no diablo - I've been writing an
emulator!) and have had a look. The only 15-pin connector (I take it a
db15 is the same as a D-15) is the one for controlling the optional
cut sheet feeder. It is around half-way across the back of the
printer, near the top. Is that the one?

If you still want the pinout, let me know.
--
__John            When asked to attend a court case, Father Moses took with him
          a leaking jug of water. Asked about it, he said: "You ask me to judge

                jcgs@uk.co.harlqn (UK notation) jcgs@harlqn.co.uk (most places)
    ...!mcvax!ukc!harlqn!jcgs (uucp - really has more stages, but ukc knows us)
John Sturdy                                            Telephone +44-223-872522
                      Harlequin Ltd, Barrington Hall, Barrington, Cambridge, UK