[misc.wanted] 386 Info Wanted

iuster@laicy.i88.isc.com (Dan F. Iuster) (09/09/89)

I realize that requests like this have been posted before, but since I
rarely read this newsgroup I probably missed the answers.  I am looking
into purchasing a 386 box for running AutoCAD.  I am looking for
recommendations for some cheap places to purchase it from.  I need really
very late information.  I noticed people on the net selling used systems
for prices that are 20-30% higher than if the system was purchased new.
I realize that this is the result of the prices falling over the last 2-3
months.

I am also interested to find out if anybody is recommending (or not)
the 386sx boxes (since they are cheaper and I do not really need a 33MHz
machine), any particular manufacturer, etc, or if it would be cheaper
to purchase the system board, case, drives, etc., separately and build
it myself.

I would also like to know if speed of the 386 chip has to be the same as the
one of the 387 chip or not (i.e. both 20 or 25 MHz).

Please e-mail directly to avoid net noise.  If there is any interest i will
post the answers.

Thanx,

--
Dan Iuster
..!{amdahl,att,masscomp,nucsrl,sco,sun}!laidbak!iuster

root@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/09/89)

In article <1989Sep8.214235.28362@i88.isc.com>, iuster@laicy.i88.isc.com (Dan F. Iuster) writes:
> I am also interested to find out if anybody is recommending (or not)
> the 386sx boxes (since they are cheaper and I do not really need a 33MHz
> machine), any particular manufacturer, etc, or if it would be cheaper
> to purchase the system board, case, drives, etc., separately and build
> it myself.

I just ordered 4 of the Club AT 386SX boxes with 40 meg drive, EGA, etc. and
should have more information in the next week to 10 days after they arrive.

Our applications run under Desqview and we need to "certify" these machines
for our package since we do some low level calls under DV and have had
some problems in the past with various EGA boards for example.

> I would also like to know if speed of the 386 chip has to be the same as the
> one of the 387 chip or not (i.e. both 20 or 25 MHz).

387 chips are interesting.  The chips actually know what speed to run
at and I don't believe we can change that via hardware like we could
with the 287 chips.  If you want to run a 387 at 25 mhz than you need
to buy a 25 mhz 387 chip.

--
Larry Snyder                                              SCO Xenix 2.3.2 '386
uucp: iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry                Computone Intelliport AT8