[misc.wanted] FOR SALE: AT&T 7300/3b1

olaf@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (olaf.henjum) (10/08/89)

AT&T 3b1 (also known as PC 7300) FOR SALE
Includes full-coverage maintenance contract through 2/14/90
   (in effect, a complete warranty for the length of the contract).

OPERATING SYSTEM: AT&T PC 7300 UNIX version 3.5.

HARDWARE:
3.5 Mb RAM, 67 Mb hard disk, built-in 1200 baud modem, DOS-73
(MS-DOS emulator) card, and EIA expansion card (includes serial
and parallel ports).  (Sorry, no printer included!)

SOFTWARE PACKAGES:
Smart financial package (a fully integrated spreadsheet/DBMS/word processor).
Several public domain packages (source only, no binaries), including:
SB-Prolog, XLISP 1.6, SC (another spreadsheet package), S (a statistical
package), PCL (Portable Common Loops: intended to run with Common Lisp),
gcc, perl, and Modula-2.
Also, several megabytes worth of archived netnews advice, source programs,
and other miscellaneous freeware, unsorted and indeed untouched.

BOOKS: Two books on UNIX System Administration and a book on the Korn Shell.
Plus (of course) all of the manuals that came with the system.

Also includes 100+ blank DSDD diskettes plus a full backup (78 disks).

BEST OFFER OVER $1100 GETS THE WHOLE PACKAGE!
(If I have to ship it via UPS or some other appropriate mover, I will
have to take the shipping costs into account when determining the meaning
of "best offer".)

WHY I AM SELLING THIS: I don't need it.  It's been very reliable and has
given excellent service, but the few really important things I've been
using it for (which are the reason I had a maintenance contract on it)
can be done just as well from an IBM PC, and through an odd concatenation
of family circumstances I recently inherited a PC/AT clone.
I certainly don't need both computers in the house, and I've learned that
I really don't have enough use for a UNIX box to justify keeping it.
I'd like it to have a good home with somebody who'll actually spend time
USING all of the wonderful UNIX-y toys and tools it contains - and I'd like
to sell it before the maintenance contract comes up for renewal (at which
time I will give up trying to sell it and donate it to a local school).

TELEPHONE: Home - (312) 790-9099: please leave a message if I'm not in.
IF you respond by e-mail, PLEASE include a telephone number!
I do not wish to do all negotiations via e-mail!
For netiquette's sake, please DON'T respond via netnews
   (for one thing, I probably won't see it).

   -- Olaf Henjum (att!ihlpf!olaf)

olaf@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (olaf.henjum) (10/12/89)

After sifting through a small flood of e-mail and telephone messages,
I have recently accepted an offer of $2200 + shipping for my recently
advertised 3B1 system, conditional only on the possibility of receiving a
significantly higher bid.  Unless I receive such a higher bid, I must
consider the system sold.

If this deal falls through for some bizarre reason,
I will of course re-post my previous ad immediately.

Thanks to all of you who responded, and I hope
you all find systems that meet your needs.
(P.S.: For those who may be interested, a VAR in Naperville, Illinois, known
as Var-Tech is selling MINIMUM CONFIGURATION 7300 systems - i.e. 1 Meg RAM
and 20 Meg hard disk with NO peripheral boards/add-ons/software.
I don't know what their arrangements are for shipping out-of-state,
but their telephone number is (312) 357-1999.
No, I don't get a cut for giving this tip...)

   -- Olaf Henjum (att!ihlpf!olaf)

chow@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (ming.chow) (10/13/89)

In article <3819@cbnewsc.ATT.COM>, olaf@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (olaf.henjum) writes:
> After sifting through a small flood of e-mail and telephone messages,
> I have recently accepted an offer of $2200 + shipping for my recently
> advertised 3B1 system, conditional only on the possibility of receiving a
> significantly higher bid.  Unless I receive such a higher bid, I must
> consider the system sold.
>
> If this deal falls through for some bizarre reason,
> I will of course re-post my previous ad immediately.
>
> Thanks to all of you who responded, and I hope
> you all find systems that meet your needs.
> (P.S.: For those who may be interested, a VAR in Naperville, Illinois, known
> as Var-Tech is selling MINIMUM CONFIGURATION 7300 systems - i.e. 1 Meg RAM
> and 20 Meg hard disk with NO peripheral boards/add-ons/software.
> I don't know what their arrangements are for shipping out-of-state,
> but their telephone number is (312) 357-1999.
> No, I don't get a cut for giving this tip...)
>
>    -- Olaf Henjum (att!ihlpf!olaf)

  About a month ago I called Var-Tech and they told me they
  don't do retail any more. The man promised sending me some
  information for the system I inquired, but the information
  never reached me until now.

  After shopping around, I went to PC Warehouse on Ogden Ave.
  in Lisle (in front of Lake Side Apartment, across Pier 34
  Seafood Resturant). I bought a VGA monitor, VGA controller card,
  hard disk, hard disk controller card and 1MB expansion RAM. I
  was very very satisfied with the price and service got from there.
  For the 1MB RAM expansion kit, exact same parts number as AT&T sells,
  I got it even cheaper than AT&T employee price. Their store numbers
  are: (312) 357-7473 and (312) 357-7488.

  No, I don't get a cut because I have paid. -:)

  Ming Chow  att!ihlpb!chow

lied@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Bob Lied) (10/14/89)

>(P.S.: For those who may be interested, a VAR in Naperville, Illinois, known
>as Var-Tech is selling MINIMUM CONFIGURATION 7300 systems - i.e. 1 Meg RAM
>and 20 Meg hard disk with NO peripheral boards/add-ons/software.

Var-Tech may be willing to sell you a box, but don't expect much
else from them, at least as an individual.  I was there yesterday
looking for UNIX-PC software and they basically told me they
don't want to deal with it.  They gave me a number for a company
called TRC in California, and told me to buy a 386.  No slam
against them; I've heard a lot of positive comments about them,
but they either don't want to work with private individuals or
they're trying to extricate themselves from the 7300 market.

	Bob Lied	att!ihuxy!lied