[misc.wanted] UPS Information Needed

eric@null.uucp (Eric J. Johnson) (11/17/89)

  I am looking for a true UPS (zero switchover time) that will provide
about 10A 115V for 15-30 minutes.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I
have tried using a less expensive standby power system (2-4 millisecond
switchover) but that seems too long a delay (or too low a voltage) for
my equipment.  Thanks.

--
Eric J. Johnson
UUCP: eric@null.uucp

shepperd@dms.UUCP (Dave Shepperd) (11/21/89)

From article <1989Nov17.140437.13421@null.uucp>, by eric@null.uucp (Eric J. Johnson):

>   I am looking for a true UPS (zero switchover time) that will provide
> about 10A 115V for 15-30 minutes.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I

I suggest you use a Best Power System. Their 1.5KVA unit is $2,895 (a bit
pricey). You can reach them at (800) 356-5794 or (608) 565-7200 in Wis.
--
Dave Shepperd.	    shepperd@dms.UUCP or motcsd!dms!shepperd
Atari Games Corporation, 675 Sycamore Drive, Milpitas CA 95035.

davidc@vlsisj.VLSI.COM (David Chapman) (11/21/89)

In article <1989Nov17.140437.13421@null.uucp> eric@null.UUCP (Eric J. Johnson) writes:
>  I am looking for a true UPS (zero switchover time) that will provide
>about 10A 115V for 15-30 minutes.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I
>have tried using a less expensive standby power system (2-4 millisecond
>switchover) but that seems too long a delay (or too low a voltage) for
>my equipment.  Thanks.

The best way to get zero switchover time is to buy a UPS that supplies power
from a DC-AC inverter running off of a battery.  The battery is then charged
by an AC-DC power supply.  This is the way our UPS runs; it has about 10 VAX
minicomputers and 150 workstations hanging off the back.  Of course, it has
a room full of batteries too.  :-)

I don't know any model names, unfortunately, but you should be able to find
out whether a particular model is set up this way.  It's important enough
that it has started to become a sales point.
--
		David Chapman

{known world}!decwrl!vlsisj!fndry!davidc
vlsisj!fndry!davidc@decwrl.dec.com

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) (11/22/89)

In article <897@dms.UUCP> shepperd@dms.UUCP (Dave Shepperd) writes:
>From article <1989Nov17.140437.13421@null.uucp>, by eric@null.uucp (Eric J. Johnson):
>>
>>   I am looking for a true UPS (zero switchover time) that will provide
>> about 10A 115V for 15-30 minutes.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I
>
>I suggest you use a Best Power System. Their 1.5KVA unit is $2,895 (a bit
>pricey). You can reach them at (800) 356-5794 or (608) 565-7200 in Wis.

You may also wish to look at products from American Power Conversion.
We use their products behind the computer and phone systems we sell.
Rather that counsel you on the net, since I know not your application...
give them a call at 1-800-443-4519.  Assuming their AP1500 is the correct
unit for you application (1.5KVA with battery, for small minis, micro VAXen
and such...), lists for $3195.00.  Available from most distributors for
$2200 to $2400  (see Computer Shopper, PC Week, PC Magazine, APC dealers
regularly advertise in these publications)

 Macy M. Hallock, Jr.     macy@NCoast.ORG         uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy
  F M Systems, Inc.      {uunet!backbone}!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
 150 Highland Drive      Voice: +1 216 723-3000 Ext 251  Fax: +1 216 723-3223
Medina, Ohio 44256 USA   Cleveland:273-3000 Akron:239-4994 (Dial 251 at tone)
(Insert favorite disclaimer here)   (What if I gave a .sig and nobody cared?)

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (11/23/89)

In article <15396@vlsisj.VLSI.COM> davidc@vlsisj.UUCP (David Chapman) writes:

>The best way to get zero switchover time is to buy a UPS that supplies power
>from a DC-AC inverter running off of a battery.  The battery is then charged
>by an AC-DC power supply.  This is the way our UPS runs; it has about 10 VAX
>minicomputers and 150 workstations hanging off the back.  Of course, it has
>a room full of batteries too.  :-)

Best Power (address previously posted by someone) uses a Ferro-Resonant
isolation transformer with a third winding for the inverter.  There is enough
stored energy in the transformer that the inverter can remain off until the
main power quits, then turn on to provide backup power.  A couple of side
benefits are that the battery derived power is sine-wave, and the mains
power is cleaned up a lot by the transformer.  They cost about 150%-200% of
a TrippLite, however.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)