[net.music] Bad lyrics

adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) (09/28/84)

I have to nominate "Morning Train," or whatever it was called.  You remeber
the top 40 tune: "My baby takes the morning train, he works from 9 to 5...
It was a song with no redeeming value whatsoever.

					-- Mark
					...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!adolph

rlr@pyuxn.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (10/04/84)

> I have to nominate "Morning Train," or whatever it was called.  You remeber
> the top 40 tune: "My baby takes the morning train, he works from 9 to 5...
> It was a song with no redeeming value whatsoever.
> 					-- Mark ...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!adolph

Of course it had a purpose!!  It served to remind women of their proper place,
waiting at home for their man, the breadwinner and head-of-household, to come
home each night.  One of the cornerstones of new conservative movement.  Bring
back those old values and those problems will go away.

Whether any of this qualifies as "redeeming value" is questionable at best.
(It would seem that much of the so-called adult so-called contemporary
so-called music serves the above function.)
--
If it doesn't change your life, it's not worth doing.     Rich Rosen  pyuxn!rlr

adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (10/06/84)

*** YOUR MESSAGE ***

How could I forget the worst lyrics of all?!  If you have had the misfortune
of hearing anything by Blowfly, nothing more needs to be said.  If you
haven't, try to avoid it for your own good.  And if anybody likes him, I have
an album that I will almost PAY you to take (I didn't know what it was and it
looked amusing in the store).

An unrelated side note: I tried once again to dispose of the one Foreigner
album that I own, received as a Christmas gift.  Chimaera, a used record store
in Palo Alto told me that they don't buy any Foreigner at all...

					-- Mark A.
					...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!adolph

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (10/06/84)

> From: rlr@pyuxn.UUCP (Rich Rosen)

>> I have to nominate "Morning Train," or whatever it was called.  You remeber
>> the top 40 tune: "My baby takes the morning train, he works from 9 to 5...
>> It was a song with no redeeming value whatsoever.
>> 					-- Mark ...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!adolph

> Of course it had a purpose!!  It served to remind women of their proper place,
> waiting at home for their man, the breadwinner and head-of-household, to come
> home each night.  One of the cornerstones of new conservative movement.  Bring
> back those old values and those problems will go away.

Sheena Easton had an answer to her own song, "Modern Girl", which was just about
the opposite of "Morning Train".  In this case, the girl is independent and
doesn't even need a man.  (I liked it when the guy asked if he could come over
and she said she'd just be fine watching TV.)

... she don't fill her world with no single man,
    but she's gettin' by doin' what she can,
    she is free to be what she wants to be,
    all she wants to be is a modern girl ...
--
Hug me till you drug me, honey!

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,harvard,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo

myers@uwvax.UUCP (Jeff Myers) (10/09/84)

> I have to nominate "Morning Train," or whatever it was called.  You remeber
> the top 40 tune: "My baby takes the morning train, he works from 9 to 5...
> It was a song with no redeeming value whatsoever.
>
> 					-- Mark
> 					...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!adolph

You know, I've been following this discussion knowing that someone would
surely point out the song whose lyrics I hated the most.  Didn't know myself
until Mark's submission, but whatever-it-is is definitely it...

Jeff myers@uwvax

hardie@sask.UUCP (Peter Hardie) (10/14/84)

Re: "my baby takes the morning train etc...."
I gotta agree it has to be one of the worst songs ever. The British comedy
program "Not the Nine o'Clock News" did a lovely sendup of the song with
a woman singing it to her husband as he arrives home from work ...
My baby takes the morning train ..
	- NO I DON'T .. I take the bus.
He works from nine 'til five and then ...
	- 8:30 to 4:30 !!!
etc.etc until the sketch ends with him strangling her.