[misc.wanted] Floppy disk exchange between C64 and MSDOS?

dwp@willett.UUCP (Doug Philips) (12/07/89)

I'm looking for software that runs on either a PC or C64 that can
read/write floppies for the other.  PD/Sharware would be best, but I'm
willing to pay for commercial product depending on price/performance.
Surely I can't be the only person who has need to do this!?!?

Any leads appreciated.

			-Doug Philips
---
Fastest: willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu, ...!sei!willett!dwp
...!{uunet,nfsun,sei}!willett!dwp

scott@max.u.washington.edu (12/08/89)

In article <6.UUL1.3#5129@willett.UUCP>, dwp@willett.UUCP (Doug Philips) writes:
> I'm looking for software that runs on either a PC or C64 that can
> read/write floppies for the other.  PD/Sharware would be best, but I'm
> willing to pay for commercial product depending on price/performance.
> Surely I can't be the only person who has need to do this!?!?
>
> Any leads appreciated.
>
>                       -Doug Philips

Yes, there is such a commercial package that does exactly what you
need to do. This software is called "BIG BLUE READER" and is available
for the C128 and the C64. With this program you will be able to read
and write to MS-DOS files.
However, you need to have a 1571 or a 1581 disk drive.

The C64  version cost around $20.
The C128 version cost around $35 (and it has more feature)

This software package is available from local software stores or mail
order companies (like Tenext, Software Support Intenational, Briwall, etc).

I hope this helps..

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen

jrwsnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Jonathan R. Watts) (12/08/89)

In article <6.UUL1.3#5129@willett.UUCP>, dwp@willett.UUCP (Doug Philips) writes:
> I'm looking for software that runs on either a PC or C64 that can
> read/write floppies for the other.  PD/Sharware would be best, but I'm
> willing to pay for commercial product depending on price/performance.
> Surely I can't be the only person who has need to do this!?!?

I'm afraid it's probably impossible, as the disk drives use complete different
accessing methods.  The C64 drive changes speed depending on where the head is,
thus keeping a constant data density.  The IBM drive keeps the same speed,
giving different data densities on different parts of the disk.  Unless someone
makes an IBM-compatible disk drive for the C64 or a C-64-compatible disk drive
for the IBM, you're out of luck.  About the only to transfer files between the
two is by modem (or null modem).

  - Jonathan Watts

jrwsnsr@jupiter.nmt.edu

bwildasi@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Ben Wildasin) (12/09/89)

In article <3626@nmtsun.nmt.edu> jrwsnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Jonathan R. Watts) writes:

>I'm afraid it's probably impossible, as the disk drives use complete different
>accessing methods.  The C64 drive changes speed depending on where the head is,
>thus keeping a constant data density.  The IBM drive keeps the same speed,
>giving different data densities on different parts of the disk.  Unless someone
>makes an IBM-compatible disk drive for the C64 or a C-64-compatible disk drive
>for the IBM, you're out of luck.  About the only to transfer files between the
>two is by modem (or null modem).

This is true of the 1541 only. 1571, 1581, and 128/D disk drives all
work fine. There are several programs available to do the
transferring, the best-known of which are the  Big Blue Reader, which
transfers between CBM DOS and MS-DOS (and CP/M for the 128), and The
MS-DOS Connection, from RUN magazine. Note that all of these programs
require a 157/81 drive.

Ben Wildasin                               bwildasi@silver.ucs.indiana.edu

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (12/09/89)

In article <31097@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> Ben Wildasin writes:
>In article <3626@nmtsun.nmt.edu> Jonathan R. Watts writes:
>
>>I'm afraid it's probably impossible, as the disk drives use complete different
>>accessing methods. The C64 drive changes speed depending on where the head is,
>>thus keeping a constant data density.
>
>This is true of the 1541 only.

The 1541 drive's spindle speed is constant; the number of sectors per track
varies.  In native mode the CBM drives are not capatible with with MSDOS
(the encoding scheme and file system are very different).  Johnathan is
correct, however, that a program such as Big Blue Reader can read and write
MSDOS diskettes when used with a 1571 (5.25") or 1581 (3.5") drive.

--
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	cbmvax!fred@uunet.uu.net

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) (12/10/89)

Its very possible have you a 1571 drive. (I'm not sure about 1581 but someone
said that would work too) The program I saw however, was A COMPUTE! Magazine
article at one time. It allowed you to read IBM files and write IBM files on a
1571. IT was called something like MS-128 or something like that. I really
wanted to use it, but I didn't have a 1571. (Note the title may be wrong and it
could have been for 64, I think it may have been MS-64) Anyway, I heard it was
great for editing files and such.

								Byron

--
Byron 'Maxwell' Guernsey                      |       ///  //\\
specter@disk.UUCP     or                      |      ///  //  \\