[misc.wanted] Searching for company/software

boerner@ut-emx.UUCP (Brendan B. Boerner) (02/23/90)

A user is doing some research involving advertising and requires
information regarding the company "Thorn EMI" as well as any
references to "Metaphor" or "Access".

She is not sure if "Metaphor" and "Access" are companies or packages
but thinks that they are somehow involved with IBM PCs.

I believe Thorn EMI got its start selling video games for personal
computers years ago but am not quite certain.

I realize that this all very vague, but if anyone has any ideas, phone
numbers, addresses, etc...  please drop me a line.

Thanks,
Brendan
--
Brendan B. Boerner		Phone: 512/471-3241
Microcomputer Technologies	The University of Texas @ Austin

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (02/24/90)

In article <24889@ut-emx.UUCP> boerner@ut-emx.UUCP (Brendan B. Boerner) writes:
> A user is doing some research involving advertising and requires
> information regarding the company "Thorn EMI" as well as any
> references to "Metaphor" or "Access".
> She is not sure if "Metaphor" and "Access" are companies or packages
> but thinks that they are somehow involved with IBM PCs.

I have done contract work for Metaphor, the company that invented
DIS (data intrepretation systems).  DIS uses a high-performance
network to connect graphical workstations to database machines.  The
idea is to have a large database easily accessible to non-programmers.

The founders and key developers of Metaphor are mostly former Xerox PARC
people and were part of the Xerox Star project.  When Xerox did not
try to make the Star a commercial success, many of the team members
left Xerox to form Metaphor.

Metaphor has been in the news recently becuase of a joint-marketing
agreement with IBM.

Metaphor is located in Mt View California...right next to NASA and Sun.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john