[misc.wanted] Looking to Repair Tape Drive

marcs@crpmks.UUCP (Marc Snyder) (03/02/90)

Hello all,
	I have a small problem.  Recently an external Bell Technologies
XTC-150 tape drive on one of our Xenix systems decided it needed a
vacation.  I opened the unit to find a blown fuse, which when replaced
blows instantly upon power-up.  I called Bell (now Intel, sort of...) and
they told me that the flat fee for repair is $700!!!  I already purchased
a replacement drive (for $800 -- I bought an Archive Viper).  I would
however like to get this drive fixed if the price was reasonable.  I
would appreciate any leads to a third party source who could fix this
unit.  Also, if anyone was interested in purchasing this unit, let me
know how much you'd be willing to spend.  Thanks in advance!  Please
Marc Snyder                     UUCP: ...philabs!crpmks!marcs
System Administrator                  ...gaboon!crpmks!marcs
Ciba-Geigy Corporation
Hawthorne, New York        Work: 800.431.1900 x2284    Play: 914.592.5234

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) (03/04/90)

In article <1127@crpmks.UUCP> marcs@crpmks.UUCP (Marc Snyder) writes:
>	I have a small problem.  Recently an external Bell Technologies
>XTC-150 tape drive on one of our Xenix systems decided it needed a
>vacation.... [description of failure followed]...
>........like to get this drive fixed if the price was reasonable.  I
>would appreciate any leads to a third party source who could fix this

I have found a couple of companies who specialize in tape drive repair
by looking at _MSM_ (Microcomputer Service Manager) magazine.  Several
companies advertise regularly as tape drive repair depots in this
publication.  If you cannot get a copy, drop me mail and I will assist

(I'd be more detailed, but I am at home, not the office, so no copy is
at hand...)
 Macy M. Hallock, Jr.     macy@NCoast.ORG         uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy
  F M Systems, Inc.      {uunet!backbone}!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
 150 Highland Drive      Voice: +1 216 723-3000 Ext 251  Fax: +1 216 723-3223
Medina, Ohio 44256 USA   Cleveland:273-3000 Akron:239-4994 (Dial 251 at tone)
(Please note that our system name is "fmsystm" with no "e", .NOT. "fmsystem")