[misc.wanted] Codata help wanted

Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) (03/03/90)

I have a machine, a Codata model 3300, and am in need of help for it!

First off, the machine: its a Multibuss-I with a 68k processor, two RAM
cards (unknown total. 18*4 rows *2 cards), two 8 port cards, a tape
drive controller, floppy disk controller, and hard drive controller.

Its got a 5.25" floppy (unknown density. Think its high), two 80meg
8" drives, and a standard (5.25") tape drive.

Not to mention, this is a monster machine!

Anyways, I turn it on with none of the hard drives or the tape drive
attached to it, and nothing happens. The floppy drive LED lights up
twice in a row, the head locks twice, and thats it.

Can anyone lend me a hand on getting this to boot? I have all the disks
needed to boot. The machine was working at one time, went into storage,
and made its way to me. Before I got it, it stopped working. Meaning,
after it was taken from storage, the owner tried to use it, and it didnt
work. Something happened to it before it even was shipped to me. Maybe
one of the boards went bad or something?

Can anyone help? Thanx!

Billy D'Augustine
Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com
(201)989-8161

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (03/06/90)

In article <27485@cup.portal.com> Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) writes:

>I have a machine, a Codata model 3300, and am in need of help for it!

  GOOD LUCK !!
   We have a Codata 3300 as well and confined it to some "shelf rest" a
 few years ago after it fell ill.

   These were once manufactured right down the street from us but the
  company "dissapeared" without warning one day. Rumor was that they were
  purchased by Contel but I was not able to find anyone at Contel that had
  heard of them.

   I would suggest trying to return the machine and get your money back from
  the previouse owner.  The Codata 3300 was VERY SLOW (even with only a single
  user logged on) , the operating system was BUGGY and ill supported, and
  it's unlikely that you'll ever find any support for the machine.

   If it worked when shelved but not afterwards, prehaps you need only blow
  the dust out of it and I believe there was a battery for the time of day
  clock, it there was, replace the battery maybe it's prohibiting a much
  needed interupt.

   Once it IS up and running, brace yourself for some dissapointments. The
  compiler is unforgiving, the utilities are unembellished and depending
  on which version of the OS you have, you may not have a printer spooler
  or may have a buggy version of it.  It is also full of security holes
  so excerise extreme caution if you have dreams of running a BBS.

    I've long been tempted to "surplus" our Codata so I could then bid on
  purchasing it.  I would be so nice to have a multi-user, multi-tasking
  UNIX system at home.  In reality, I've decided to buy an IBM PC compatible.
  The PC is much better supported, and though I hate it (from a programmers
  perspective), it is the best choice for my needs and expected needs. The
  Codata, on the other hand, is now archaic and required hardware maintance
  about once each year.

Gordon Vickers 408/991-5370, at Signetics  (Sunnyvale, California, USA )
{mips|pyramid|philabs}!prls!facv01!gordon       ** All disclaimers apply **
Earth is a complex array of symbiotic relationships: Every extinction, whether
 animal, mineral, vegetable, or cultural hastens our own demise.

fyl@fylz.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (03/07/90)

In article <33147@prls.UUCP>, gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) writes:
> In article <27485@cup.portal.com> Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) writes:
> >
> >I have a machine, a Codata model 3300, and am in need of help for it!

>    These were once manufactured right down the street from us but the
>   company "dissapeared" without warning one day. Rumor was that they were
>   purchased by Contel but I was not able to find anyone at Contel that had
>   heard of them.

I have talked to Contel in Torrance, CA many times about the 3300.
They certainly did exist.  The company I was working for at the time
was buying the box and CPU board.  Contel refused to sell anything
except the complete system (including UNIX -- we were using it for an
embedded product) so we took our business elsewhere.

>    If it worked when shelved but not afterwards, prehaps you need only blow
>   the dust out of it and I believe there was a battery for the time of day
>   clock, it there was, replace the battery maybe it's prohibiting a much
>   needed interupt.

Not true. The 3300 would forget the time just fine.  The box is
composed of some rather stock boards - the cpu is the SUN (Stanford
User Network) board used by lots of vendors at the time.  Memory is
generally Intel.  Communications board is Central Data.  The funny
boards were the floppy and hard disk controllers.  Developed by
Liberty Bay Computing in Poulsbo, WA.  Software was from Unisoft.

--
Phil Hughes - FYL - 8315 Lk City Wy NE - Suite 207 - Seattle, WA 98115
	(206)526-2919 or LAMB-919 for the strange