[misc.wanted] Desperately seeking ROM chip

dmuntz@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Dan Muntz) (02/19/90)

I recently fried one of the ROMs in my IBM PC and would like to find a
replacement chip.  The markings on it are:

     XE 5000019
     IBM CORP
     1981, 1983
     M 8327E N M

If you have one or know where I might purchase one please send email.

  -Dan Muntz
   dmuntz@dip.eecs.umich.edu

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) (02/20/90)

>I recently fried one of the ROMs in my IBM PC and would like to find a
>replacement chip.  The markings on it are:

I think you can get replacement IBM ROM chips from any "authorized" IBM dealer.
You have to bring in the old one to swap it.  The BIOS chips run around $40,
I think.
                                               Brent H. Besler

dlucy@tropez.UUCP (Doug Lucy) (02/20/90)

In article <1498@zipeecs.umich.edu>, dmuntz@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Dan Muntz) writes:
> I recently fried one of the ROMs in my IBM PC and would like to find a
> replacement chip.

Wholesale Direct advertises in Computer Shopper the following:

	Phoenix XT BIOS		$39.95
	Phoenix AT 286 BIOS	$49.95
	Phoenix at 386 BIOS	$59.95

They claim 100% IBM compatibility. Their phone number is 206-883-0227.
--

  "It's such a fine line between clever..."     < Doug Lucy           DC Pro >
  "...and stupid."                              < uucp:   uunet!tropez!dlucy >

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (03/07/90)

In article <137@vela.acs.oakland.edu> bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) writes:
>>I recently fried one of the ROMs in my IBM PC and would like to find a
>>replacement chip.  The markings on it are:
>>

>I think you can get replacement ...IBM dealer.

The last time I spoke to my IBM dealer(s) about this they had the best laugh
of the week, went so far as to put me on the speaker phone & repeat it for the
rest of the boys 8-).  Well, in short, good luck, but give it a try.
The computer shopper usually has a add for a couple places that have these.
I believe one of them is mendelson electronics.
I think, however that I would take this opportunity to dump the ibm roms &
get a good clone set.  Jameco sells the ami & pheonix sets for about $ 25.
As far as I can tell, all you'll lose is ibm rom basic.  Big deal (to me) I
prefer microsoft basic (gw) to it anyway.
I actually do have a pheonix version 2.0 (Both I think) bios rom &
a ibm 256K motherboard rom set  that I would be willing to sell, as is, but
both were working when pulled & upgraded.
al