[misc.wanted] USA-Flex, and ordering from them.

MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) (04/12/90)

  I Recently I bought a Epson EPL 6000 Laser Printer from USA FLEX. I
decided buy it there because they had the best price. ($899)

the story:

  I called March 24th and talked to Karen in sales. We talked about
compatability, warranty, durability, and upgrading a meg of ram. This wa
great! I could buy a H.P. series 2 compatable for $900 and upgrade it
for use with postscript for $220! When I was done I asked her for her
ext# for commission purposes.

  I called USA FLEX again on the 27th to order. Jeff answered the phone,
Karen was out sick. He asked if he could help me. I kindly said no that
already made a deal with Karen. He said that he could take care of it fo
her. He took my order and cringed at my quoted price, but then later sai
OK. He told me that THEY would call me back the next day with the
ETA and total amount. 3 days later I called back, and Karen answered.

  I explained to Karen what Jeff and I did. She looked it up, all she
could say was "unbelieveable!" Jeff had not given her the sale after all

  She apologized and asked "you havn't received the printer yet? Well,
you will get it tomorrow." (I did)

  The day after I received the printer I wanted to order the 1meg upgrad
being that a laser printer can't do a full page of postscript on 512.
I called Karen and talked with her for 30 minutes. (she had to keep chec
ing the stock and lookup numbers) The mem-board was on back order for an
indefinite amount of time, but I needed it, so I ordered it.

    To get to the point (finally, but you needed the background) :)

  When the numbers started to get entered for my order is when she
realized her mistake. She had been looking in a Panasonic book for my
Epson printer all along! They do not offer a 1meg expansion for $220. In
fact, they don't even offer a 1meg board! The minimum expansion is 2megs
And with a price of $500, I said forget it! ($500 is a "we made a mistak
price") I wanted to return my printer on the spot! After all, I bought i
under false pretenses(sp?). I could get a series 3 for a little more!

  I would have to wait until the next day to call a customer service #.
Then waste money talking to a voice mail system. After I explained what
happened to Desarae, a service rep, I would have to wait until she got
back to me. Two days later I CALLED HER BACK. -

 They were going to charge me a 10% restocking fee!

I asked, "What?"  She responded, "Yes, we are giving you a break because
it was out fault, we normally charge 20%"  Is this good service?

 I still have the printer - I will not pay for there mistake.

  I just wanted to warn fellow net-landers of this place!

 P.S.  I talked to the head of customer service. She was no better.
       She doesn't know what BitNet is - now she will!

 * If you have questions / doubts / info please email me.

 P.S.S  Isn't too bad when you have to do something this drastic to get
        service?
 -----
 Mark Solsman, Pennsylvania State University, Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA

MHS108 @ PSUVM.BITNET                                MHS108 @ PSUVM.PSU.EDU

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (04/12/90)

->  I Recently I bought a Epson EPL 6000 Laser Printer from USA FLEX. I
->decided buy it there because they had the best price. ($899)
->
->the story:
->

[ deleted ]
->
->  I just wanted to warn fellow net-landers of this place!
->
-> P.S.S  Isn't too bad when you have to do something this drastic to get
->        service?

What do you expect when you go for the lowest price?  (8-}) Its
gotta come from somewhere!  You think they can afford PhD's in sales?

I await the day when America realizes that you gotta pay a little above
dealer cost if ya want the dealer to survive and stand behind their products.

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
       uunet!emory!jdyx!mnopltd!neal Or uunet!gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal

dlucy@tropez.UUCP (Doug Lucy) (04/13/90)

I hate slamming anyone, but...

We ordered about $1300 bucks worth of h/w from USA Flex (SVGA card,
monitor, hard drive & controller) and were promised 5-7 day delivery.

10 days later I called to cancel the order (client would not wait
any longer) and found out the order was on hold because the SVGA
monitors had not even begun to ship from the mfg!). So I cancelled
the order and moved the USA Flex phone card to the back of the Rolodex.

Two days later, UPS showed up with the SVGA card on a separate order.
Right. They even called to ask why I sent the SVGA card back. Ok,
move the phone card to the circular file.

--
   "It's such a fine line between stupid..."    | Doug Lucy  703.820.3922
   "...and stupid."                             | DC Pro, Falls Church, VA

zentner@radon.ecn.purdue.edu (Michael Zentner) (04/13/90)

In article <90102.002037MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu> MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) writes:

>  I Recently I bought a Epson EPL 6000 Laser Printer from USA FLEX. I
>decided buy it there because they had the best price. ($899)
>
>the story:

    (insert assorted horrors here)

Take heart, Mark, you're not the only one.  I found USA flex to have
a very good sales staff when I was ordering my VGA monitor and card,
but when it came to service, that was another story.  The original order
came promptly, however there were some disturbing black lines scanning
on the monitor, so I called the service number, which happens to be a
toll number.  This may not be a big deal when you're dealing with
corporate funds, but when it's my phone bill and I spend 10 minutes
on hold, I get pretty damn mad.  Well, they finally routed my call
and, guess what?  The line went dead.  So I called back again, held
another ten minutes, and finally got someone to give me a return
authorization.  Since it was within 30 days of purchase, they let
me put another monitor on my credit card immediately and said
they'd credit my card as soon as the monitor came back to them.
Well, I got the new monitor right away, and got my charge bill
not too long after, only to find that they had not credited my account.
I called back, and held for another ten minutes.  The rep said that
they never got my monitor and that I had to put a UPS trace on it
to prove I sent it.  Well, I certainly wasn't going to send in 2*600+
dollars to the credit company, when I knew that I didn't have two
monitors sitting on my desk, so I had to eat the interest cost
on my charge account for one of the monitors too.  When I called
with my UPS tracer report, which, incidentally, showed that my
monitor arrived at USA FLEX two days after I sent it, they said
I had to send a copy, and then it would be another day before
they could credit my account.  Oh, yeah, and this time when I
got the receptionist, I let her know that I wanted to talk to
someone right then and that she had cut me off before.  And, whaddya
know, a rep picked up the phone right away.  Are these guys drinking
coffee or what?  Well, they finally did get it right, but not before
it cost me at least $30 in phone and shipping charges that I wouldn't
have had to pay if I'd have went with my instincts and ordered
from Compuadd in the first place, where the price was a little
more than $30 higher than USAflex.

--
Mike Zentner
School of Chemical Engineering            zentner@cn.ecn.purdue.edu

MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) (04/13/90)

...just for the people that tell me I am cheap:

  At the same time that I bought my $935 EPL-6000, I also bought a Gateway 386-
25 with all the goodies for $3730, and a Star NX1500 for my drafts and programs
at $350, and media for $165. I don't think that I am totally wrong for going w/
the lowest price, after all, spending $5180 for a system for home was enough.

 The moral of the story: Please don't call me cheap. I appreciate the comments
but my main point was that USA FLEX screwed me over for their mistake.

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (04/13/90)

->
->...just for the people that tell me I am cheap:
->
->  At the same time that I bought my $935 EPL-6000, I also bought a Gateway 386-
->25 with all the goodies for $3730, and a Star NX1500 for my drafts and programs
->at $350, and media for $165. I don't think that I am totally wrong for going w/
->the lowest price, after all, spending $5180 for a system for home was enough.
->
-> The moral of the story: Please don't call me cheap. I appreciate the comments
->but my main point was that USA FLEX screwed me over for their mistake.
->

You are absolutely right.  You are not cheap.   They are cheap.  Still, never
deal with a cheap outfit unless they are in town and have visible assets that
don't move around.