[misc.wanted] What's the cheapest place to get SIMMs?

omd@pawl14.pawl.rpi.edu (Eric P. Scholz) (07/30/90)

I apologize for asking a frequently asked question again, but what is the
cheapest place for SIMMs today?  I believe I've seen some place for ~$53 each...
is there a cheaper place?

Thanks in advance.

floren@siodo.UCSD.EDU (Joseph Floren x46986) (07/31/90)

In article <Z{5$VG$@rpi.edu> omd@pawl14.pawl.rpi.edu (Eric P. Scholz) writes:
>I apologize for asking a frequently asked question again, but what is the
>cheapest place for SIMMs today?  I believe I've seen some place for ~$53 each...
>is there a cheaper place?

Yes.  The Chip Merchant in San Diego almost always has the best price at
any given time (at least they have every time I have looked).

Current Prices as of 27 July:  $51 for 1Mb 80ns SIMMs (that's right,
80ns -- don't waste your money on 100ns chips!).  That is the business
price.  For some reason they sell for LESS money to private individuals,
so I would guess that they are about $47 for private parties.

These SIMMs come with a 5-year warranty, and they charge about three
bucks to ship them.  My experience with Chip Merchant has been
excellent, and I know of many others who have done business with them
with no problems or chip failures.

Why is Chip Merchant so cheap?  Simple.  High volume, low margin, and
almost no overhead.  Don't waste your money somewhere else.

Chip Merchant's phone number is (619) 268-4774.

Joe

P.S. No, I don't work for Chip Merchant; I'm just a happy customer who
can't wait to buy some more memory now that it's less than $50/meg.