[net.sf-lovers] Best SF Film

gwr@cord.UUCP (GW Ryan) (02/27/85)

> On the subject of Best SF film . Has any one seen a film called
> UBX 11.. i can't remember the whole title .
This is probably THX-1138. Done by George Lucas (I think when he was
still in school). It';s cute when you see THX 1138 on a car license
plate in American Graffiti. . .

jerry

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) (02/28/85)

>From: @RUTGERS.ARPA:jlong@bbnccm.arpa
>Subject: Best SF <[DFilm
>
>From: Julian R. Long <jlong@BBNCCM.ARPA>
>
>On the subject of Best SF film . Has any one seen a film called
>UBX 11.. i can't remember the whole title . It is a futureistic
>society type film (1984 ish) this guy is getting all sorts from
>them in charge , funny seens with his wife/lover? . Oh yes , the
>police are robots , everyone is bald , i think they have to
>take some drug ? now it's starting to sound like brave new world .

Sounds like you're talking about Geroge Lucas's  THX1138.  I  expect  there
will shortly be 50 more postings to that effect.

>        Also what about some of the REAL clasics like METROPOLIS .
>A must for anyone who wants to be a real s-f fan , black&white
>very old and , of course ,  silent .

And on that subject, how many people are  aware  that  _Metropolis_  wasn't
written by Fritz Lang?  One of my pet peeves is everyone referring to it as
"Fritz Lang's _Metropolis_" when the original novel was actually written by
Thea von Harbou.

The Polymath (Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                               If thy CRT offend thee, pluck
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.                      it out and cast it from thee.
Santa Monica, California  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

mike@dolqci.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) (02/28/85)

> > On the subject of Best SF film . Has any one seen a film called
> > UBX 11.. i can't remember the whole title .
> This is probably THX-1138. Done by George Lucas (I think when he was
> still in school). It';s cute when you see THX 1138 on a car license
> plate in American Graffiti. . .
>
> jerry

  Lucas is notorious for that.... In Indiana Jones and The Temple of
Doom, the Nightclub that was used in the opening scenes in Shanghai was
the Club Obi-Wan.  In at least one point in each of the Star Wars movies
the number THX-1138 was used for somthing.  (usually a guard's id or
something equally obscure.  )

--

  Mike Stalnaker  {decvax!grendel,cbosgd!seismo}!dolqci!mike
                  Be wary of strong drink: It can cause you to

leeper@ahutb.UUCP (m.leeper) (03/01/85)

REFERENCES:  <798@topaz.ARPA>, <159@cord.UUCP>

>> On the subject of Best SF film . Has any one seen a film called
>> UBX 11.. i can't remember the whole title .
>This is probably THX-1138. Done by George Lucas (I think when he was
>still in school). It';s cute when you see THX 1138 on a car license
>plate in American Graffiti. . .
Yes and no.  At UCLA he made a 20-minute film THX 2238 4EB.  THX 1138
is his remake of his own student film.  The license plate in AMERICAN
GRAFFITI was THX 138.  There was also a reference to the title THX 1138
in STAR WARS.  Anyone wanting to send me where they think it is, use the
address below.  On March 7, I will post the answer, and the names of
everyone who got a correct answer to me.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!ahutb!leeper